UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I'd like to say a hearty "Io, Saturnalia" to all contributors and readers of UNRV.

Saturnalia, (17th to 23rd December) was one of the most popular Roman festivals. It was marked by tomfoolery and reversal of social roles, in which slaves and masters ostensibly switched places, much like the Lord of Misrule in later Christian celebrations.

However, I did notice that despite the switching of roles, Mrs OfClayton didn't bring me a cup of coffee in bed this morning!

I do also whish a very pleasant Saturnalia to you all, especially as I don't do Christmass :)

I do Saturnalia, Christmas, the Druidic winter solstice and Brumalia.

The latter may be particularly relevant to UNRV forum members, as apparently it's a Graeco-Roman festival which ends on 25th December and - it's sacred to Bacchus.

Let the revels begin!

My materialistic nature compels me to celebrate any holiday that involves PRESENTS! :D

Joyous Saturnalia to all!

-- Nephele

IO SATVRNALI, AMICI!!!

Yes Io Saturnalia as well.

I will also happily celebrate Christmas, Hannuka, Midwinter, and anything else you care to mention. Its damned cold out there and dragging evergreens inside, lighting fires (or fairy lights), exchanging gifts, having a good time, and drinking and eating to excess seem like an excellent way to chase away the winter blues.

Just as long as you don't want me to acknowledge any actual Gods. :D

The latter may be particularly relevant to UNRV forum members, as apparently it's a Graeco-Roman festival which ends on 25th December and - it's sacred to Bacchus.

If I remember correctly, Brumalia was a late Roman, Eastern Roman resurrection of the Lesser Dionysia of Ancient Athens.

But however it is, a holiday of theater productions and merry phallic processions would be a nice counterpoint to the current season. ;)

And to throw in yet another holiday, Plutarch mentions that in Ancient Egypt there was a festival to Isis on the Winter Solstice. Something about leading a bull around her temple 7 times.

I celebrate Festivus.

Have you aired your grievances yet? :hammer:

You see, this is why I love it here. In my (very) ordinary, every day life, when I bestow those around me with an "Io, Saturnalia!", they exchange glances with one another, as if to say, "he's off again with the usual babble and gibberish!" At best, they humour me with a condescending smile. Here, I not only get the greeting right back at me, I also learn a shed-load of new stuff about the world.

Thanks for being brilliant, all of you. Really!

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I celebrate Festivus.

Yeah, Festivus for the rest of us! I could think of a couple of people I'd like to poke around with a Festivus pole. :hammer: