UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cinncinatus-part Time Leader

yoyopa

Cincanattus's second dictator ship was also in Livy book 4.13- 16 in which he was appointed dictator to counter the threat of Maelius who was trying to become king, a big no no in Rome. Maelius was summonded to the dictator but was refused and consequently killed for refusing. For a little bit more accurate source you can also use Polybius.

• 2 years later...

L.Quinctius Cincinnatus (his cognomen meant "curly", perhaps he had a perm) lost a minor battle to the Aequi in 458 B.C, which is the first mention of him that I can find. The consul Minucius, also on campaign against the Aequi, decided to keep his army inside his fortifications so as not to risk more losses. The Aequi took this as a sign of weakness and built barriers to trap Minucius in his fort. A handful of Romans escaped the blockade to inform the senate about the danger to the army.

The senate decided to bypass the Minucius' fellow consul and elect a dictator. This is where Cincinnatus comes into his own.

Messengers were sent to his small farm across the Tiber. They were greeted by L.Quinctius toiling on his farm, he returned their greeting, and was asked to put on his toga so he could hear the senates commands. Surprised, he asked "is everything alright?" and told his wife, Racilia, to bring him his toga from their cottage. He wiped the dirt and sweat of his toil from his person, donned his toga, and was greeted as Dictator by the messengers when he saw them again, presumably outside his cottage. He went to the city and was informed of the terror in the army. A state ship was ready for him.

L.Quinctius orederd all men of military age to assemble before dawn in the Campus Martius. That day the army marched to Algidius where Minucius and his men were trapped. That night the Romans silently surrounded the enemie's camp; they won the battle that ensued, and L.Quinctius rescued Minucius and his army. Cincinnatus triumphed in Rome for his deed.

After his triumph, L.Quinctius Cincinnatus retired from his post as Dictator, just 15 days after he had assumed it. He could have held onto it for 6 months, but instead returned to his tiller and plough.

Cincinnatus was esteemed by Romans for his humble return to his farm and for not wanting any more reward than knowing that Rome was safe. He gave up unlimited power to return to his farm and penury.

Hope this helps you dude, most of it is from what I have read of Livy.

• 2 weeks later...

Also of interest, the City of Cincinnati (where I live) is actually named for Cincinnatus, or rather The Society of Cincinnati which was was an organization established to honor George Washington and his decision (ala Cincinnatus) to voluntarily relinquish power. There's a nice statue of Cincinnatus located downtown here on the banks of the Ohio river:

cincinnatus.jpg

After his triumph, L.Quinctius Cincinnatus retired from his post as Dictator, just 15 days after he had assumed it. He could have held onto it for 6 months, but instead returned to his tiller and plough.

Cincinnatus was esteemed by Romans for his humble return to his farm and for not wanting any more reward than knowing that Rome was safe. He gave up unlimited power to return to his farm and penury.

Hope this helps you dude, most of it is from what I have read of Livy.

I know that this is written about (in Livy and others) but it still seems like a fairy-tale. Once LQCincinnatus returned 'for good' to his farm, was he awarded anything? Given money/land by the state? It's pretty much against human nature to give up power so completely.

I know that this is written about (in Livy and others) but it still seems like a fairy-tale. Once LQCincinnatus returned 'for good' to his farm, was he awarded anything? Given money/land by the state? It's pretty much against human nature to give up power so completely.

Seemingly not. It's a good part of the reason that most think of the story as a reflection on the state of Roman aristocratic morals at the time that Livy and Dionysius were writing. They were contemporaries in the late Republic/early principate.

Dionysius says the following after relating how Cincinnatus was approached while sowing his fields in Antiquities 10.17.6

I am led to related these particulars for no other reason than to let all the world see what kind of men the leaders of Rome were at that time, that they worked with their own hands, led frugal lives, did not chafe under honourable poverty, and, far from aiming at positions of royal power, actually refused them when offered. For it will be seen that the Romans of to‑day do not bear the least resemblance to them, but follow the very opposite practices in everything

Regardless, I gladly retell the tale as recorded anyway, simply because it's a damned fine story. :hammer:

That it is, Primus. That it is.

Ya know, one of the few times in my life I was able to use my (relative) knowledge of Rome for any sort of practical purpose was when we were downtown with a group of friends and we came upon the statue I mentioned above. (up until then, they all thought Cincinnati was the name of an Indian tribe :ph34r: )

I don't think it's a fairy tale either. But even if it were in the case of Cincinnatus, there were plenty of other dictators who willingly gave up total power.

Why should this be surprising? The office of dictator was only rei gerendae causa--"for the matter to be done", typically no longer than six months. Indeed, of the many dictators of the Roman republic--Titus Larcius, M Furius Camillus, L Quinctius Cincinnatus, M Valerius Corvus, P Cornelius Rufinus, L Papirius Cursor, Q Fabius Maximus Rullianus, M Valerius Corvus, A Claudius Caecus, A Atilius Caiatinus, Q Fabius Maximus Cunctator, Q Fabius Maximus Cunctator, M Junius Pera, M Fabius Buteo, P Sulpicius Galba Maximus, L Cornelius Sulla, and G Julius Caesar--only the last two served for more than six months, despite the perpetual immunity of the dictator from prosecution. Thus, there were plenty of people who behaved like perfectly good Cincinnati, even if they weren't called Cincinnatus.

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

PP, thank you much for the textual aspects...as you and MPC mention, perhaps this is the George Washington/cherry tree incident, where the historical figure also represents a cultural ideal. As usual, MPC, you fill in the missing link (for me, at least). I didn't realize that it wasn't uncommon for 'dictators' of the Republic (early Republic?) to stay in their position only for 6 months. But then what happens to them? You and PP mention immunity...do they get to partake in the senate?

I didn't realize that it wasn't uncommon for 'dictators' of the Republic (early Republic?) to stay in their position only for 6 months. But then what happens to them? You and PP mention immunity...do they get to partake in the senate?

Only ex-consuls were eligible to be elected dictator, so all dictators were already senators to start with. Also, the dictators I cited span well into the middle Republic, though thankfully the office had a bit of dust on it prior to Sulla.

BTW, are you trying to say that Parson Weems LIED about the cherry tree incident?!