UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

II Adiutrix

Interesting. The Batavian cohorts later went on to play an important role in the conquest of Britain. A lot of them were stationed in Northern Britain and took part in Julius Agricola's battles in Caledonia. It's great that we have now found the original base of these warriors. I wonder what they might turn up at the site.

As their Legionary HQ was at Lindum Colonia, they're a legion very dear to my heart.

Thank you for this interesting find.

Been searching for information about the Romans in my area, and this is quite useful :)

I have been to Nijmegen in 2007 and actually there a few traces of the Romans unfortunately built over nowadays. Nonetheless at the tourist info I found a guide which leads you to foot or on bike through Roman Nijmegen.

The archaeologists could identify the castra, the canabae which even had a small amphitheater and a forum and the necropolis.

The Museum Het Valkhof has many Roman artifacts on display e.g. the cavalry helmet with the hair glued onto it and another fine face mask of a Roman helmet.

http://www.museumhetvalkhof.nl/collecties/archeologie.html

Very interesting!

I have always held the Batavians as some of the best auxiliaries in the Roman Army. They were more than a match for both their Celtic brothers and the Roman legions.

The II Adiutrix is a legion I take more than a passing interest in because apparently they were formed out of Roman marines of the Ravenna fleet, and I am a great admirer of the Roman Navy.