UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archaeological remains in Southern Italy

Klingan

I'm planning a trip to southern Italy to fill in the blank spot I have south of Potenza and Paestum. The plan is to land at Brindisi and then move along the southern coast (unfortunately without visiting Sicily), but is there anyone who's familiar with the region and have something to recommend? What is a must see and what is overrated? E.g. how much is really left in Tarentum?

Thanks

Taranto has a part of the temple preserved and a good museum, if it's not still being renovated.

Lecce should be on the list, and for non-Roman purposes so should Bari and Matera.

The archaeological sites away from the cities can be frustrating to get to if you don't have a car.

Nevertheless, Egnazia, Monte Sannace, Metaponto and Sibari are not to be missed.

I believe Crotone and Locri are worth the trip as well, but I've never been there.

Finally, there's the museum at Reggio.

Taranto has a part of the temple preserved and a good museum, if it's not still being renovated.

Lecce should be on the list, and for non-Roman purposes so should Bari and Matera.

The archaeological sites away from the cities can be frustrating to get to if you don't have a car.

Nevertheless, Egnazia, Monte Sannace, Metaponto and Sibari are not to be missed.

I believe Crotone and Locri are worth the trip as well, but I've never been there.

Finally, there's the museum at Reggio.

Don't miss the Riace Bronzes at the museum in Reggio, Calabria:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riace_bronzes

Absolutely stunning bronzes!

Thanks guys! Metaponto is certainly on my list and I'll look into the others. Reggio might be difficult thou, as I'm not going to Sicily.

Maladict, do you know how far it is from modern Metaponto to the site?