UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Macerinus

Goldsworthy's Fall of Rome

Salve everyone...

I got a question about two (or one) book(s) written by Adrian Goldsworthy.

I got nearly all his books, except the one about the fall of Rome.

Now I've been looking for these on an (dutch) internet store and I found the following:

How Rome fell; Death of a superpower - 531 pages - September 2010 - Yale University Press

The Fall of the West; The Death Of The Roman Superpower - 560 pagina's - Orion Publishing Co - Februari 2010

Are these two different books, or the same with a different title?

Cheers,

Macerinus

Salve everyone...

I got a question about two (or one) book(s) written by Adrian Goldsworthy.

I got nearly all his books, except the one about the fall of Rome.

Now I've been looking for these on an (dutch) internet store and I found the following:

How Rome fell; Death of a superpower - 531 pages - September 2010 - Yale University Press

The Fall of the West; The Death Of The Roman Superpower - 560 pagina's - Orion Publishing Co - Februari 2010

Are these two different books, or the same with a different title?

Cheers,

Macerinus

They're the same book. The Orion edition was the one published in Britain, the Yale the one published (I think under license) in the US.

...often UK and USA have different publisher and sometimes even different titles, dont ask my why they have different page numbers, maybe the font is larger with one... and to give you a third title,

just to make things even more complicated ;)

the amazon kindle version is titled The Fall Of The West: The Long, Slow Death of the Roman Superpower,

however there are several published authors here (including the reviewer) that might give you a better answer...

cheers

viggen

Traditionally and I suspect even today, as Sonic and Viggen suggest, books are sold under licence in different countries and it is common practice for some American publishers to use different titles from British publishers and vice- versa. In some cases the differences in titles, particularly with ficton books, occur because of dialect differences/ usages of slang which could be offensive in some countries although not in others.

Alternatively some publishers already have published a book with a similar or the same title so wished to 'rebrand' new books keeping them separately identifiable from their exisiting publications list.

With republication, again traditionally, books had to be retypeset which could lead to differences in page lengths while in the modern digital world some publishers prefer different font sizes, different page sizes, or to group all of the illustrations together in different ways to previous publications. They sometimes even request additional or fewer illustrations particularly regarding colour plates.

Any of these changes can lead to differences in book lengths and consequently page numbers.

Thank you Sonic and Viggen,

I thought it might be something like that, but wanted to be sure.

The world of books and publishing has many mysterious ways :)

Cheers,

Macerinus