UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Acropolis Museum in Athens

Viggen

You would perhaps expect the Parthenon, towering over the city from the top of its cliff, to be the first thing you notice when you get up from the Athenian metro station called Acropolis. But it probably isn't. I am willing to bet almost anything that your eyes will fall on the (New) Acropolis Museum instead. The background to why the new museum was built is complicated and cannot be discussed in detail here, but it is safe to say that the old museum had been insufficient for a long time. It is also quite obvious that the Greek authorities wanted to prove to the UK that they could provide a safe environment for the Elgin marbles, thus rendering that argument against repatriation invalid....

...read the full review of the Acropolis Museum in Athens

You would perhaps expect the Parthenon, towering over the city from the top of its cliff, to be the first thing you notice when you get up from the Athenian metro station called Acropolis. But it probably isn't. I am willing to bet almost anything that your eyes will fall on the (New) Acropolis Museum instead. The background to why the new museum was built is complicated and cannot be discussed in detail here, but it is safe to say that the old museum had been insufficient for a long time. It is also quite obvious that the Greek authorities wanted to prove to the UK that they could provide a safe environment for the Elgin marbles, thus rendering that argument against repatriation invalid....

...read the full review of the Acropolis Museum in Athens

Thanks for the link to the beautiful website.

Nice review Klingan.

I'll finally get to see it myself in a few weeks, and now I've got high expectations.

Thanks, glad that you like it!

Let me know when you're around (if you want to) - I'm living in Athens at the moment.

No worries if it doesn't, I wouldn't like to prevent you from using the time as efficiently as possible.