UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Parthenon frieze fragments discovered reused in Acropolis walls

M&C is carrying a report of the discovery of fragments from five of the Parthenon friezes reused in the walls of the Acropolis:

Greek archaeologists on Friday said they had discovered five long-lost friezes from the 2,500-year-old Parthenon in the walls of the ancient Acropolis.

The friezes, which had been taken away to be used as building materials for the ancient Acropolis which at one point served as a fortress, were located along its southern walls by a weather balloon camera, officials at the Culture Ministry said.

The fragments were detected by air during a vertical scan of the walls of the Acropolis by the Culture Ministry, where a total of 2,250 photographs were taken.

...comtinued

It's too bad that there are no pictures, but I suspect that will be the case in all further articles on the matter until the fragments (I presume) are properly published.

There is a chance that something more may be available at the Acropolis Restoration Service (YSMA) site who apparently carried out the survey.

Unfortunately this site appears to be written entirely in Greek, which I do not read, so I have been unable to determine the extent of, or indeed if there is, any further information available there. :(