UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

MONOPOLIUM ROMANUM

GhostOfClayton

Here's a bit of fun I started thinking about when I should've been doing something far more constructive:

How would a Monopoly game based on Ancient Rome look?

Starting with the title 'MONOPOLUS ROMANUM'. Is that reasonable, all you Latinistas?

Would 'Go' become 'Peto'?

Would the Jail square be the 'Mamertine'? And the 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card be 'Gratis Missio', or 'Gratis Libri'?

The Waterworks - 'Aqueducti'

Come on, let's have your ideas - it's better than working!

Chance: Go to the Arena. Do not Pass Go. Do not collect $200. You are killed by gladiators. Game over.

Chance: You make an enemy of a crazed emperor. Your life is proscribed and your assets seized. Game Over.

Chance: Slave uprising on your mining property! You forfeit your assets on this property.

While you and your opponent try to gobble up most of the properties, you hadn't noticed that Germanic tribesmen swept in and took half the board from you.

Great idea!

Btw, I think monopoly would be more correctly translated as monopolium (nominative)

I suppose the real difficulty would be finding four suitable replacements for the railway stations of the original. Portus and Ostia are obvious but I am uncertain if the quaysides in Rome itself could really be counted as more than 'one' at most. Where does that leave you - possibly counting Brindisium as a 'Rome' port??? :blink:

Or maybe we could use four of the big city gates?

And obviously dollars/pounds would be out, and denarii would be in.

Top Hat = Helmet

Dog = Eagle

Racing Car = Chariot

Iron = ?

etc.

By the way, please could someone with suitable authority change the name of this thread to MONOPOLIUM ROMANUM (thanks Aurelia).

Iron = gladius

boat = trireme

wheelbarrow = litter

boot = caliga

thimble = scutum?

Great idea btw! :thumbsup:

This should be the next big project for Viggen, PP and the crew!!

Forget the next wallmap, get MONOPOLIUM ROMANUM out there!!!:lol:

This should be the next big project for Viggen, PP and the crew!!

Forget the next wallmap, get MONOPOLIUM ROMANUM out there!!!:lol:

I was actually really close to start working on a board, but it wouldn't come to anything serious as I can't make any new drawings.

We can have a Via Appia to start with.

The Romans certainly were driven by material acquisitions and money, but other things drove them, too. Perhaps in addition to picking up properties: villas, ships, mines, tax concessions, etc. there would be a way for the players to also acquire clientes. Sometimes your money wouldn't save you, but your connections would.

I suppose the alternatives to street names, of which we know relatively little detail apart from some of the main routes you could try putting in some area names or possibly temples/ altars although the gods may take exception to that last.

As to community chest/ chance cards think of the fun you could have eg: the emperor commands you to pay for three weeks of games, or

you have been granted the position of 'Keeper of the sacred geese', or

you have received an inheritance in Britannia spend four months traveling to find out what it is really worth! :P

Can you set fire to the board and win the game by playing the lyre and singing a kylie minogue song in latin?

Seriously though, the railway stations should be replaced by mansiae on four roman roads. Since jail in roman times was only a temporary residence, that doesn't need changing. Four insulae built on a street and you can build a theatre. Acqeducts, baths, and temples replace electricity and other assets.

However, for that truly roman experience, the banker should be replaced by an emperor, and make it possible for other players to humiliate you in failed decrees, or mount rebellions against unfair taxes. I can just see the punch-ups across the dining table now...

Edited by caldrail