UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Aside from Roman History, what history are you damn serious and Passio

Guest CounterSwarmer

Guest SassinidAzatan

What historical periods aside from the Romans that you take seriously?As many you already know,Iam a serious student of the Vietnam War and Indochina War.Also recently I have began seriously studying the Afghan Soviet War, Algerian War of Independence, Crusades and Medieval History, Feudal Japan,and the Byzantine Empire.

Edited by SassinidAzatan

Ancient Greece. :D

Outside the classical world, I have an interest in a general historical overview of the world, or at least the European section of it. I'm a big fan of WWII.

Finally, I have an interest in Western art history, which grew directly from reviewing some Roman art books from this site.

Guest SassinidAzatan

Ancient Greece. :D

Outside the classical world, I have an interest in a general historical overview of the world, or at least the European section of it. I'm a big fan of WWII.

Finally, I have an interest in Western art history, which grew directly from reviewing some Roman art books from this site.

I specialize in the Maginot Line in terms of WW2 history.Are you familiar with the many myths and half truths of the line that is commonly accepted as facts(even though they are wrong)?

Also are you familiar with World War 1(Iam descently read into WW1 and can safely say that many accepted facts such as the Russian army being poorly equppied in the war as myths)?

Edited by SassinidAzatan

Apart from the history about Rome I'm also interested a bit in Ancient Egypt mainly the period of Ramses II as well as the history of Ancient sports.

Edited by Medusa

• 1 month later...

Aside from Brythonic Celtic and Romano-British history, which i have a smattering of, my comfort zone 'speciality' is latter Anglo-Saxon history (Ecgbert to Harold II), involving the Vikings and Normans in the 1066 era, and the campaigns and Politicking that made it so fascinating.

Yet I also love the Crusades, Wars of the Roses and WWII

• 1 month later...

Chinese history, especially during their period of disunion after the fall of the Han Dynasty. I've always been fascinated by the question of why China as a culture was able to reintegrate itself into a state in a way Rome never did.

My theories include:

-an ideographic writing system not tied to alphabetic pronounciation, which created a unity of literary thought independent of spoken language.

-a longer period of barbarian integration.

-a few lucky breaks that went China's way that didn't go Rome's.

I'm also distantly related to one of the emperors of the fractured southern dynasties after the fall of Han.

My main areas come under three headings (excluding Roman history of course):

1)Ancient Greek History

2)History of Communism

3)World War Two History

4)The History of Literature

But although these five (when you include Rome) are my favorite areas, I enjoy most areas of history and I do not confine myself to just my favorite parameters.

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

1)Ancient Greek History

2)History of Communism

3)World War Two History

But although these five (when you include Rome) are my favorite areas, I enjoy most areas of history and I do not confine myself to just my favorite parameters.

How familar are you the Indochina War and the Afghan Soviet War?And the American VIetnam War?

...the history of Prince Eugene of Savoy, according to the French court he was of no military use, the Austrian Hungarian empire took him and it turned out to be one of the most successful military commanders in modern European history, he became and still is considered a national hero in Austria and you can still visit his private home "Belvedere Castle" which hosts one of the finest Arts today...

Although opinions differ as to his character there is no dispute over his great achievements: he helped to save the Habsburg Empire from French conquest; he broke the westward thrust of the Ottomans, liberating central Europe after a century and a half of Turkish occupation; and he was one of the great patrons of the arts whose building legacy can still be seen in Vienna today. http://www.belvedere.at/jart/prj3/belvedere/main.jart?rel=en

Besides this passion for anything to do with ancient Roman history, I'm also very interested in the history of the Vietnam War and also WW1 - and the role of the Aussie troops in those theatres of war

Is anyone else like me - I read a book, any book and in the book there might be a mention of an historical fact/event and the next minute I'm off reading a bit more about that!

And now I'm learning a bit more about my Austrian heritage too :)

There are three other areas of history that I focus my energies:

1. Italian Renaissance political history: It is very difficult to understand the machinations of the various city-states and the Roman church. I recommend the Showtime series "The Borgias" to anyone interested in this period. It is from Renaissance Italy that modern concepts of humanism, reason, and scientific study first appeared. Unfortunately, unlike the study of Renaissance art, the scholarship on Renaissance political history is very poor.

2. Dutch history and culture in the 1500s and 1600s. Without the Dutch, European history would have been very different: bleak, intolerant, and more violent--much like the Middle East today.

3. British history from the Glorious Revolution (1688) to the Act of Union of Scotland with England (1707) thru the reign of the Hanoverians till the time of Queen Victoria (1837). Anything before that time was too brutal; anything after is too modern.

guy also known as gaius

1)Ancient Greek History

2)History of Communism

3)World War Two History

How familar are you the Indochina War and the Afghan Soviet War?And the American VIetnam War?

I studied the first and the third topics in depth, but I have never formally learned about the Soviets in Afghanistan.

And from your username, am I to understand you supported the French in the Indochina War?

I am interested by histories of economy, technology and ideas with a focus on the West and an anti-revisionist view. I'm also interested in European colonialism, the periods before the French revolution and WW1 and the first phases of WW2. More exotic interests are about the Genghisid mongols and the ottoman turks.

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

More exotic interests are about the Genghisid mongols

Kosmo, I assume you are familiar that many of the commonly accepted beliefs of the Mongols are myths and that its a flatout misconception that the Mongols were the most advanced military force of their time(just like Caidrail and I agree on the myth of Roman invincibility and superiority in ancient warfare)?

Lets chat about some other time of the myth that the Mongols would haev easily conquered Europe had Subutai decided not to turn back from Europe and the universally accepted myth of the Kamikaze being the sole reason why the first and second Mongol invasions fail(and how its possible the Mongols would have been unable to conquer Japan even if the Kamikaze storms never occured)!

Edited by ParatrooperLirelou

Generally beyond Rome I have interest in other Classical era peoples like the Greeks, Persians, Celts etc - although I suppose that falls under the umberella of Rome. You could also add Byzantine history onto that list.

Other than I have some interest in these eras, in no particular order:

1. Ancient Egypt

2. The First World War.

3. Medieval European culture (c.1000-1500).

4. Feudal Japan.

5. The Ottoman Empire (15-16th centuries, also WW1).

6. The Crusades.

7. The Napoleonic Period.

8. The Mongol Empire.

I'm also vaguely interested in the English Civil War and Prehistoric and Dark Age Britain. Recently I've began developing a stronger interest in the Renaissance and Ancient China too.

Edited by DecimusCaesar