UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
P.Clodius

What Is Your Favorite Period...

Mine is 2nd Punic war through to the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD. I know this is a pretty broad period but to me its the real meat and potatoes of Roman history. What's yours?

From Jullius Caesar to the death of Marcus Aurelius. I like the personalities in play, I like the culture and architecture of early empire, and I like the religious cults that were in effect.

Good times.

There is a lot of mysteries to the period of Republic life and so I gravitate there. Once things get imperial the politics dies down considerably except at the change of Emporers. Each Caesar does what he is capable of and a lot of creativity comes down to them alone and some of them were just dictators with no imagination. In the republic this is not the case.

Some of the political campaigns in the Middle and Late Republic make some of the things in the U.S. and England today look as a tame as kittens. It makes for interesting reading that is for sure.

I know what you're saying Regulus. A study of the late Republic can be insightful, and it can be easy to make comparisons to US politics.

I am partial to the Republican period as a whole, especially the time of the Punic Wars and subsequent eastern expansion. Though that expansion eventually led to the collapse of the Republican system, at this point Senatorial government was still viable.

My interests:

From earliest founding through Augustus with special emphasis on Pre-Punic Rome and the Greek colonies.

Though most anything can float my boat :D .

From the time of Caeser all the way up to the time of Julian is my favoritie after that is gets kinda like the middle ages.

Zeke

If you want to be technical, after the fall of rome was known as the dark ages, the time of the middle ages is widely debated, but I would put it at around time of first crusade towards end of 11th century.

hmm, well i guess id have to say the punic wars would be my favorite roman time in history. im more of a person who loves the wars and battles and tactics and all of that about ancient times, and the punic wars were imo legendary.

Yeap, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of Hannibal's tent when he received Rome's responce to his offers after Cannae. Something like "DOH!!!"

My favorite time period would have to be the early stages of Rome, even as they were still fighting for control of Italy. The Samnite Wars, etc.

I just think its so cool how they overcame so many enemies, even when they weren't all that powerful.