UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ribchester, England

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

Recently I visited Ribchester in Lancashire,England although the remains of the Roman Fort are now gone, there can be seen the remains of the Bath-House

Ribchester was known as BREMETENNACUM VETERANORUM established in 78AD during the reign of Vespasian and it was under the Governership of Gn. Julias Agricola

The fort was originally of timber and turf construction and covered a site of 6 acres, it was re-built in stone around 100AD

Construction was supervised by the XXth Legion and it accomodated an Ala of 500 Cavalry which included Asturians ( Spain ) and later by Sarmatians ( Hungary )

Underneath the present village was the site of a Romano-British Village ( Vicus )

Below is the Main View of the Bath-House, note how close the river Ribble is, it was a source of supply/drainage

post-1-1160630497.ipb

Guest spartacus

Thanks Moonlapse

They were a little big!

I am not techno-minded so I did not realise how big they would come out!

Very embarassing

Still, it gave Mrs. Spartacus a good giggle!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spartacus

After my field trip to Ribchester (see separate post) I decided to drive 150 miles to Segontium to do another "field trip" for the Forum!

Segontium is situated on a hill above Caernarfon, North Wales it overlooks the Menai Straits and the Isle of Anglesey

The fort was founded by Agricola in AD 77 when he had finally subdued the Ordovices tribe

It was an Auxiliary Infantry Fort designed to house a 1000 men

The defences consisted of a rampart fronted by a double ditch

There was originally 4 gates

Unfortunately very little remains today

Overview of the Barrack Room

Guest spartacus

The site has 4 barrack rooms, granaries, stores,offices and 2 bath-houses and occupies roughly a 2 acre site according to my measurements

The barrack rooms are 30 metres long by 8 metres again by my measurements !

All the buidings are perfectly straight and you can see the thickness of the walls on the photos