UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Map comparing ancient places to modern city names??

Metella

I have searched using google and bing . . .

I am coming up empty. For instance; Tusculum, Ortonia, or Corbio - not these in particular; as I'm sure I can search on just them and come up with something.

I am wondering if there exists a map of BC republic times and what those cities are called today?

Thanks for any help !!!

I don't know of any specific map, but just a word of advice : be careful of the date of the map. I remember my roman epigraphy teacher telling us she once had problems with colleagues because she had used an older book as a source which gave city names that were no longer in use following sometimes very violent conflicts (like the Balkan war...)...

It can be a real pain to find the modern name of a city from the name given by the ancient sources - even if it is known today. The best bet I've found is to buy a few ancient history books dating to the nineteenth and early-twentieth century. Although some of the arguments are sometimes outdated, they often (but not always!) included folded, pull-out maps which can be extremely detailed. It is then possible to use these to locate the place and from there trace its modern name.

I wish there could be a nice, detailed, cheap map with all of the old names next to the modern ones! :unsure:

Edited by sonic

Awe - shucks. I guess this will not be as easy as I thought ! :) I thought the whole academic world would be interested in this. ha ha ha I can't believe I am interested in a niche topic.

Well - thanks for the guidance - at least I know what I am in for.

A few years back on another site I visited rather than making a map we attempted to put together a relatively simple spreadsheet with some of the better known Roman period town names and their modern equivalent but it was a major task and never really completed. :(

Well, I'll probably be looking up a few just north of Rome; I could contribute a few old to new cities .... I don't have time to figure out a great way to present the stuff; if someone else wanted to volunteer for that .....

If not, I'll have my info around and share if anyone asks. I won't be done for a while - still have my "normal" work to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you what, if you start a page on Wikipedia called 'List of Roman Cities', and put in as many as you know (especially some variations), it would get populated pretty quickly.

You may wish to have a look at a couple of sites where it appears such a list has been at least started if by no means complete:

Illustrated Roman Empire

Our civilisation