UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caesar's legion massacred at Venlo

jugurtha

Obviously ;) ! I think it's a well-known fact that Caesar wrote his De Bello Gallico as a means to help his political career and create his own myth. Because of this he mentions the fallbacks of his campaign only briefly and elaborates on his successes.

Nevertheless, we should be glad he wrote it altogether. It's our task to siff through the propaganda and get all that wonderful information, which we wouldn't have otherwise, from underneath it.

- JUG

I'm a bit confused. I think all the historian is claiming is that the location of the defeat may have been different. Caesar clearly mentioned the defeat of the 14th Legion under the command of Sabinus to the Belgae and the Eburones. He never mentioned place names but Belgica has always been widely accepted. The important factor here is that Caesar wasn't present, and there were very few survivors who made it to the camp of Labienus. Difficult at best to describe in any detail under these circumstances.

He described what he knew: the legion was slaughtered. He didn't avoid the defeat at all. What he did do however was to put a bit of treachery spin on it. He acknowledged the defeat of Sabinus but then claimed that when he tried to surrender to Ambiorix, that Sabinus and all of the officers were executed. A brilliant move by Caesar to keep his image from being tarnished and also to motivate the Roman people for vengeance.

We can read through that and see there is some political motivation and understand that we will likely never know the whole truth. But its important to also understand that Caesar didn't avoid the topic at all. I think the article does a disservice in that it makes it seem that this battle is a newly discovered defeat. That's clearly not the case at all.

Well, you're richt there PP, that is what the article says.

What this article really shows is that scholars have had their doubts of the exact location and that many of the scholars start to acknowledge that the location might've been misinterpreted in the past. As a matter of fact, don't go too wild on this! They're just moving the battlefield a bit to the north (Venlo is right across the border with Belgium). :)

However, if they do find the exact spot we might be in for some exciting archaeogical finds.

PS: If I'm not mistaken the term Belgica applies to present day Netherlands as well.

PS2: I have to admit one could interpret this article as a defeat unknown until now. Maybe I should rephrase some of it.