UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CounterSwarmer

Deadly Sins(or Vices) and Heavenly Virtues in Pre-Christian Roman Reli

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

I have beeen researching the topic of Deadly Sins and Heavenly Virtues (I'm Catholic) and from my research apparently about every religion that ever existed has its own list of Deadly Sins and Heavenly Virtues including Roman Civilization.

I wish to discuss the Deadly Sins and Heavenly Virtues of Pre Christian Roman Religion.

To start off, a list of Roman Virtues.From Wikipedia.

Auctoritas

Yeah, and as far as I know (I'm not an expert) other than honoring Roma, there wasn't ever any "offical" Roman Religion until some silly Emperor decided that Christianity should be the religion.

They had many different "cults" which are not like our cults today; but actual religions, with priests and temples and traditions. Fortunately, the emphasis was on honor, family and the greater glory of Rome, with only the poets to fret about vices. The one that seems to be prevalent is greed - this was frowned upon from the time of Roman Kings into the Empire.

That's my unofficial and non-expert view on it - leave the vices to the private citizen to wrestle with; and encourage all the good stuff.

there wasn't ever any "offical" Roman Religion until some silly Emperor decided that Christianity should be the religion.

Well, there were as you say a variety of state sponsored cults, festivals and religious officials. During important festivals, Romans were expected to suspend official business. They also were expected to not malign the gods in public.

So there was something of an official religion. Just not one that enforced a rigid set of "morality" or belief.

Edited by Ursus

Roman paganism doesn't proscibe sin or virtue.

Yes it does, they very word "Sin", i believe is derived from the Roman-Sabine God "Sancus", from whence "Saint, Sanction" derive too.

Sancus was god of trust (fides), honesty, and oaths , of course, fides is where "Faith" derives, he is also the God of "Signing Contracts"

"Legal Agreements and the "social union or legal contract between people", thus "Marriage" stem from him.

If you SIN, you violate the Oath , hence, you Violate SANCUS , thus a SIN (Sancus).