UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Scipio Aemilianus Africanus Numantinus

Sofokles-

Hi!

Long time user and reader, but not so active in forum-discussion.

I have a question about Scipio Aemilianus. Does anyone know what legion (name/number) Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus Africanus Numantinus controled when he faught down the spansih rebellion in the Numatian war?

Please forgive my english.

Others may be able to confirm this but I am uncertain that such information has survived in any of our available written sources.

Given this was in the second century BC, in the period when consular armies were normally raised each year and assigned to a particular theatre of war under one or other of that years consuls, I am not sure that there will be any record of which numbers/ names would have been assigned to which units.

Confusion about legion classifications are particularly a problem where some units seem to have been kept in the field for longer than their 'obligatory' single year so there could conceivably have been multiple legions operating with the same numerical designation. From a quick search on the web there is a lot of talk about numbers of troops of different types, the fact that Scipio Amelianus obtained several thousand volunteers for his army but no indications of any individual unit classifications.

Melvadius is correct (as always), the sources (mainly Appian) do not give the numbers of Scipio's legions.

But if you wish to speculate a bit: Scipio was consul in 134 and the consular legions were normally numbered I-IV, so Scipio, as senior consul, probably commanded legions numbered I and III. The other consul was in Sicily fighting the slave revolt.

As Scipo was not authorized to hold a levy, the actual troops of these legions had been in Spain at least since 135 and some may have been out there since 141. Scipio did, however, use his considerable influence to recruit among his friends and adherents and among the allied kings. Appian says his army totalled 60000 at Numantia, including his legions, Italian and Latin allies, contingents from allied states (Numidians et al) and a large number of loyal Spaniards.

Melvadius is correct (as always), ....

Not always 100% :whistling: but thanks for the compliment and the more detailed response :thumbsup: