UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

15 Minute Interview

Guest spartacus

Guest spartacus

If you COULD interview anybody from the Roman Times who would it be and why would you choose them ?

As for me, it would be Polybius, to ask him about juicy gossip that he did not write about :D

I would question Caesar about what he discovered when he first tried to land on Brittania and what actually made him turn and flee. Also what were the natives like?

First choice, Marcus Aurelius, but the interview should take place near the end of his reign, say 179ad.

First priority: to be able to discuss Marcus' philosophy and his writings; Second priority: to find out how such a fine mind could damn the Empire by allowing his very strange son, Commodus, to inherit the throne. It is no mistake that Gibbon began Volume I of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire with Commodus, who ended the reigns of "Five Good Emperors."

What do you mean second rate. he was not as good as Caesar, but nobody was, he could have held his own against the likes of Sulla, maybe Marius, and several other great generals.

Yes....um....sorry pompeius magnus. Maybe I'll start a new string - asking just what pompeius magnus did that made him "magnus" and you can fill me in. I'm actually curious to know how accurate his portraits are, odd looking guy.