UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maladict

Hadrian's Wall

Seeking advice from the knowledgeable people here...you know who you are. :)

What would be the best guide book to bring for a walk along Hadrian's Wall? Preferably one that has plenty of information on the lesser known attractions as well as non-Roman places of interest (if any).

A good map is a must, of course. In fact a separate map would be even better, any recommendations there?

And finally, the itinerary. I'll have about four days, give or take one, so a complete walk is out of the question. It will be quite a puzzle to get the most out of it, any help would be appreciated. I'll be based in Newcastle for the duration.

I had a few days on the Wall with a friend a couple of weeks ago. She has a very good guide called

For a guide book, try English Heritage's Hadrian's Wall, which includes a tour of the wall from Maryport in the West to South Shields in the East. It also has a map inside the front and back covers and gives some history of the wall.

The guidebook is 4.99 and the map is 7.99 (the archaeological one I mentioned in my first post) and you can buy them at English Heritage sites along the wall or online at www.english-heritage.org.uk.

Hi Maladict.

It really depends what you want to get out of your trip. If (as I suspect is the case) you are in it for the antiquity and not the walking, then the suggestions above are great. To boil them down depends very much (as Corax suggests) on whether or not you have a car.

If you don't, the following are must see:

Day 1 - using the Metro

Arbeia

Segedunum

Day 2 - Using the AD122 bus

Chesters (not forgetting Chesters Bridge, and Brunton Turret if time permits)

Corbridge Roman Site

Day 3

Procolitia

Vindolanda

Housesteads

Day 4

Walk from Housesteads to the Roman Army Museum. 12 tough miles, but this is the best stretch of the wall, where you'll find the best preserved structures, and classic photo opportunities.

If you had a car, you could add the Benwell sites, maybe Heddon-on-the-Wall, Planetrees (if you can park), and maybe even squeeze in some of the stuff around Birdoswald (the good stuff starts at Poltross Burn Milecastle (MC48) and ends at Hare Hill (tallest extant stretch of the curtain wall). It includes Pike Hill Signal Tower, and some turf wall bits.

If you're in it for the walking:

Day 1 - Planetrees to Housesteads

Day 2 - Housesteads to Roman Army Museum

Day 3 - Roman Army Museum to Banks/Hare Hill

This will cover the best walking stretch, leaving day 4 to do Segedunum & Arbeia or Corbridge & Vindolanda.

Don't write off Carlisle - Tullie House Museum is superb!

I don't want to advertise on here, but if you are a walker the company I guide for may interest you. PM me, and I'll let you know details of their Hadrian's Wall tour.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Excellent stuff GoC, much appreciated. You're right in assuming it's the antiquities I'm after.

A guided tour is not really what I'm looking for at this point, but I'd be interested in what your company has to offer (maladict1 @ yahoo.com).

I've ordered some books and maps, and with the information here I should be able to make the most of my time on the wall. B)

I'm back from a highly enjoyable trip to northern England.

The weather was fairly atrocious which dampened the walking bits unfortunately, still got two solid days of walking in though (Chesters to near Roman Army Museum, roughly).

Chesters, Housesteads and Vindolanda are great sites, the museum at Vindolanda is outstanding. Not too impressed by the Great North museum, but that might be due to the seemingly endless amount of screaming children. Corbridge, Arbeia and Segedunum were complete washouts but interesting enough.

Interesting experience when spending some time with the wall, when you first encounter it it looks really impressive in its bulk and apparent indifference to the terrain. After a while, though, I thought it looked increasingly vulnerable and insignificant, a thin ribbon crossing a vast landscape. Still impressive in its length and construction, but not at all daunting or forbidding.

Non-Roman bonuses: the crypt under Hexham Abbey, Bede's church in Jarrow, the splendour of Durham cathedral, a melancholy day at Lindisfarne and seeing the Red Arrows do their magic over Whitby Abbey. Only to learn that one of them died yesterday. :(