UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

CARD-tamen Rome a new kind of educational card game

Viggen

• 3 months later...

Looks like it could be auseful adjunct to any group learning Latin although I must admit to being a bit thrown seeing 'Jupiter' written as 'Juppiter' on several of the cards since its not a common form.

BTW welcome to UNVR Kevin, I hope your project is successful.

Looks like it could be auseful adjunct to any group learning Latin although I must admit to being a bit thrown seeing 'Jupiter' written as 'Juppiter' on several of the cards since its not a common form.

I believe it was "luppiter" originally. No "J." I only know this because of my studies on Roman religion. I have no facility with Latin.

You are right about the Iuppiter with an "I" since the "J" (consonant "I") doesn't come into being until much later on.

Because of troubles with serifs/sans-serifs , it's easier on students to see Juppiter rather than Iuppiter lest they confuse a capital I with an L.

Fair enough - it is all in the context. I was aware of the J/I issue in Latin but felt the double 'p' to be an unusual format if it was intended as an 'English' written form of 'Jupiter' which the initial 'J' had led me to expect.

• 3 months later...