UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hieronymus Longinus Rufus

"Pompeii"

I was channel surfing tonight and came upon the Spanish speaking channel. There was a program on titled: "Pompeya". Unfortunately it was in Spanish of course and I don't speak Spanish. It reminded me so much of your review of Robert Harris's book, in that I surmised the lead characters, one of whom was named Marcus, were speaking about aqueducts and the eminent eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Hey, the sets and costumes were pretty good (red cloaks on the soldiers, tho -ha I learned about that just recently here on UNRV). Anyway, I watched the entire 30min. and it appears to be a weekly series.

So I afterwards I go online to find out about this Spanish made series and find this instead:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0958865/

Is this really going into production for 2012? Will it be here in the USA? When did the Spanish version come out?

I was channel surfing tonight and came upon the Spanish speaking channel. There was a program on titled: "Pompeya". Unfortunately it was in Spanish of course and I don't speak Spanish. It reminded me so much of your review of Robert Harris's book, in that I surmised the lead characters, one of whom was named Marcus, were speaking about aqueducts and the eminent eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Hey, the sets and costumes were pretty good (red cloaks on the soldiers, tho -ha I learned about that just recently here on UNRV). Anyway, I watched the entire 30min. and it appears to be a weekly series.

So I afterwards I go online to find out about this Spanish made series and find this instead:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0958865/

Is this really going into production for 2012? Will it be here in the USA? When did the Spanish version come out?

Oh, here's info about the Spanish production. Came out in 2009.

http://en.todoroms.com/pompeya-miniserie-hdtv-castellano-drama-historico

I read Harris's novel many years ago. I found it rich in historical detail, and I enjoyed it - even if the story felt flat at times. This book was also supposed to be turned into a movie a few years back by Roman Polanski. Its disappeared off the radar since then.

I read Harris's novel many years ago. I found it rich in historical detail, and I enjoyed it - even if the story felt flat at times. This book was also supposed to be turned into a movie a few years back by Roman Polanski. Its disappeared off the radar since then.

Yes, I noticed it on IMDB not long after reading it. It's the sort of novel that would make for an excellent film. Shame the plans faded out.

Yes, I noticed it on IMDB not long after reading it. It's the sort of novel that would make for an excellent film. Shame the plans faded out.

Well the good news is that Harris is still friendly with Polanski and they are collaborating on another script. Also, since the film of Pompeii was scrapped because of the actors strike, it may be possible to resurrect it, much like the city itself. Hopefully with Johnny Depp instead of Orlando Bloom

...thanks Hieronymus for the review! :)

we did a while back one too

http://www.unrv.com/...iew/pompeii.php

did you read conspirata? We dont have a review of it as of yet...

cheers

viggen

I have read "Conspirata." If you like I wil review it. Probably for next week.

Awesome, thanks