UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Primus Pilus

Salve,

what age would your Primus Pilus be?am i right in thinking he would be a old man? allso what is a Miles Gregarius?? thanks for your help.Longbow

:lol:

Well, it did take them a while to get to that level. And education and administrative skills would be more important in their capacity than youth and physical prowess. So they probably were a little older.

Maybe someone will have more a definite answer.

I'm 34 :lol:

All kidding aside. A primus pilus was a senior centurion and served essentially as a field commander. I've never even heard references (though I admittedly am not as much a military expert as some) of Emperors or their henchmen making political appointments of that position. Legates, yes, centurions yes, but I've never heard of a Primus Pilus not working through the ranks on his own merit. Such a position would require years of service and I'd be surprised if they were ever much less than the mid 30's.

If someone joins the legion at approximately 18 and has 20 years of service, he could be 38 upon retirement. However, career officers could very likely serve much longer terms.