UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
VulpesInculta

The Aquila

Hey guys.

I've seen the aquila depicted in many different styles, but sometimes I see the eagle facing left, and other times right. I understand that the double-headed eagle has the left head (West) representing Rome, and the one looking right (East) representing Constantinople. But what about the single-headed one, which way did it usually face?

Hey guys.

I've seen the aquila depicted in many different styles, but sometimes I see the eagle facing left, and other times right. I understand that the double-headed eagle has the left head (West) representing Rome, and the one looking right (East) representing Constantinople. But what about the single-headed one, which way did it usually face?

I susppect if you are talking about the legionary standards then if this image from Trajan's column is anything to go by then probably straight forward:

Standards of Legio I Minervia

Hey guys.

I susppect if you are talking about the legionary standards then if this image from Trajan's column is anything to go by then probably straight forward:

Standards of Legio I Minervia

I've seen that way a couple of times too, but mostly like this

n49479412677_1997226_8091.jpg

0085-Roman-Eagle-q75-480x320.jpg

If you keep finding different images of the Eagle maybe if they did not have the equivalent to the 'King of Arms' (found in College of Arms in England or Lyon Court in Scotland) to the Roman's which way it faced wasn't important - only the fact that an Eagle was used for the image.

I have looked through my quite extensive picture archive (including 131 photos of the column of Trajan) and have, with very appreciated help from a friend in the state who also is completely nuts when it comes to pictures, found two more eagles at the monument. Both of them look exactly like the one Melvadius posted and it is quite clear that they appear in official military scenes - i.e. you won't find them in a normal war monument unless the emperor is personally present in an important scene as a sacrifice, departure or surrender.