UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Women

Ursus

http://dominae.fws1.com/

"Yet the position of Roman women as we now understand it was, within the limits of a male-dominated world, comparatively proactive and respected. Although most admired in the traditional roles of wife and mother, Roman women in many ways suffered far fewer restrictions than women in other contemporary cultures. Perhaps more importantly, some compensation for lack of a woman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I believe the High Priestess of Vesta and all the Vestal Virgins for that matter enjoyed a higher Social standing than most Roman Women of the time. As they were forbidden to have relationships with men this meant they were free of the legalities of "patria potestas" paternal power. So they could bequeath personal belongings and testify in law courts.

What's interesting to me is that Roman patriarchy is a function mostly of the Republic. After the civil wars of the late Republic exterminated much of the leading males, women came into their own. There was something of a minor "feminist" revolution giving them greater freedom and status.

What's interesting to me is that Roman patriarchy is a function mostly of the Republic. After the civil wars of the late Republic exterminated much of the leading males, women came into their own. There was something of a minor "feminist" revolution giving them greater freedom and status.

Really now that is interesting. Anyones you could name in particular? That lead this small Feminist revolution. What greater freedoms did they gain?

Well. The restrictions on women certainly did vary throughout Roman history, both during the Republic and the Empire. It really depended more on whose wives or mothers had stronger wills than the men, in my opinion, than on any sort of "femininst" movement.

Women were certainly better off in Rome than they were in Greece, where they were essentially trapped in the house all day with only festivals and work as a way out, and were essentially chattle. Roman women, at the least, could leave the house.

I recommend reading the relevant chapters of Daily Life in Ancient Rome by Jerome Carcopino. Great Stuff.

"they devoted themselves on the other hand to all sorts of pursuits which in the days of the Republic men had jealously reserved for themseleves"

"with spear in hand and breasts exposed (they) take to pig-sticking"

I quote from that amusing passage.

:-) Thank you, Pertinax.

To the rest: "feminist" is decidely in quotes as it wasn't an organized movement. It's more like the late Republic had seen so many elite males dead, elite females stepped in to fill the void. There followed a general relaxing of certain mores that were prevalent during the earlier republic, which allowed women (at least those with some wealth and influence) a greater freedom.

This topic would make for an interesting essay. Hmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Really now that is interesting. Anyones you could name in particular? That lead this small Feminist revolution. What greater freedoms did they gain?

Livia (Augustus' wife), Aggripina and Messalina (Claudius' wives).

http://dominae.fws1.com/

"Yet the position of Roman women as we now understand it was, within the limits of a male-dominated world, comparatively proactive and respected. Although most admired in the traditional roles of wife and mother, Roman women in many ways suffered far fewer restrictions than women in other contemporary cultures. Perhaps more importantly, some compensation for lack of a woman

It seems to me that, as in later historical eras, wealthy women had considerable influence and scope within the confines of a system that deprived them of actual sufferage or position.

Servilia, Sempronia the mother of the Gracchi, Clodia, and Fulvia (wife of Antonius) all seem to have exercised influence and directed affairs to some degree, while being respected in most cases 9well perhaps not the latter two!!). But joking apart, Fulvia could help raise armies and be a cause of a civil war, so someone must have listened to her.

It is the METHODs by which they exercised their influence that interest me - viz Servilia's conference after Caesar's assassination, which brought together most of the key players in the "Liberators'" camp.

Phil

• 1 month later...