UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Has anyone watched Garrow's Law?

guy

One of my favorite periods of time to study is 18th Century Britain.

The British courtroom drama "Garrow's Law" gives insight into that world:

Garrow's Law is the true tale of William Garrow [13 April 1760
Edited by guy

I quite enjoyed the first three or four programmes which were broadcast originally although 'true' in TV speak in reality tends to mean that it is only loosely based on 'real' people. If anyone interested in history watch them AND are very lucky they may recognise one or two 'real' events which accidently slipped through the production/editing process.

Actually possibly a slight diservice to Garrow's Law which at least initially attempted to keep in as many of the true facts which were known about Garrow as possible. The basis of his courtroom methodology is probably fairly accurate but not necessarily a lot of the 'back' stories. What little is known about his personal life is apparently fairly contradictory.

I quite enjoyed the first three or four programmes which were broadcast originally although 'true' in TV speak in reality tends to mean that it is only loosely based on 'real' people. If anyone interested in history watch them AND are very lucky they may recognise one or two 'real' events which accidently slipped through the production/editing process.

I agree the show isn't perfect in its depiction of the courtroom scenes of late 1700s. (For example, from the criticisms I've read, English judges have never had gavels

post-3665-0-00154300-1329780644_thumb.jpg

Edited by guy