UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pushy Parents - New Mary Beard Series 'Meet The Romans'

Melvadius

As part of the advertising for Mary Beard's new TV series Meet the Romans' the BBC is carrying this article pointing up the fact that child prodigies even in the Roman period were both known and also suffered problems with pushy parents leading in some cases to unfortunate outcomes...

What were the Romans really like? Different from us in many ways, but there is much that is familiar in Roman family life and in particular parenting.

In 94 AD young Quintus Sulpicius Maximus died.

A Roman lad who lived just 11 years, five months and 12 days, he had recently taken part in a grown-up poetry competition, a sort of Rome's Got Talent. He had composed and performed a long poem in Greek.

And, though he hadn't actually won, everyone agreed that he had done amazingly well for his age. The sad thing was that only a few months later he dropped down dead.

...continued

I read the article, too, and thought it was a curious read. I have no doubt that Roman parents were pushy, although somehow I don't think they were quite as demanding as Spartan parents <grin>

I'm curious to see if/when this is coming to the US; I'd be curious to see how she portrays the different aspects of Roman life.

I managed to catch this on iPlayer on a recent (rare) evening at home. Mary B never disappoints. Looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

• 2 weeks later...