UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman History Quizzes

guy

If this is a repost, please delete it.

I find these quizzes a nice review:

http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=3957

guy also known as gaius

I quite enjoyed the quizes.

I think the quizzes are an excellent review, but they are not without error. Here is an example (Boldface type mine.):

Macrinus fell victim to the machinations of Caracalla's aunt, Julia Maesa, and her daughters Julia Soaemias and Julia Mamaea. The Severan Dynasty was started by Septimius Severus, brother of Julia Maesa, when he became emperor in 193 AD. The family had gotten used to the imperial lifestyle and did not want to give it up. The women started a rumor that Julia Soaemias' son Elagabalus was the illegitimate son of Caracalla and therefore the rightful successor, not Macrinus. The dissatisfaction among the military with Macrinus made them ready to accept Elagabalus and on May 18, 218 the Legio III Gallica proclaimed him emperor. General Gannys led the legion against Macrinus' forces but his forces [?]deserted him and he was easily defeated. He was captured trying to flee back to Italy dressed as a courier and executed. The Severan family had exacted their revenge on him for his murder of Caracalla.

Of course, Septimus Severus was the brother-in-law (not the blood brother) of the Syrian noble Julia Maesa. Nevertheless, these quizzes are a quick and fun review.

post-3665-0-25681900-1350842056_thumb.jpg

guy also known as gaius