UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Latin and Greek

altyfc

Just wondered how many of you here had to endure Latin and Greek in your school days.

I had to. Actually, I quite enjoyed Greek (Latin less so), but now looking back especially, I have no regrets whatsoever. Although my knowledge isn't great, I truly feel it gives us a much better insight into the English language and how it works. I like to know quirky things like the origin of the words 'hippopotamus' or 'rhododendron' but without this early grounding I would be unlikely to have this appreciation.

Would you agree?

Aaron

I'll meet you halfway there.

I had some close encounters with Latin and Greek myself in my school years, and like you I was more partial to Greek than Latin. At that age however a lot depends on what kind of teacher you have.

Later on I studied Germanic philology and to be honest the Latin doesn't make a huge difference really when it comes to English. I think you make it a lot easier for yourself if you start your comparison with the battle of Hastings and study the influence of the French language, which as you know belongs to the Romance language stock and thus is heir to Latin. The relation French-English is a much stronger one just because they are closer in time. That way some knowledge of French can actually help you quite a bit when you learn English.

The real influence of Latin (and Greek) on any western language came much later, in my humble opinion, with the coming of the renaissance and classicism and once again when the industrial revolution kicked in and people needed new words for new appliances.

Latin and Greek do become important however when you start digging into the indo-European language tree and start jumping from branch to branch. I love comparative linguistics but the further you dig into it, the more you realise we aren't there yet. :)

One very interesting thing for instance is the fact that the Latin we know wasn't really the Latin people spoke, thus it is probably not the kind of Latin that influenced other languages. That's what makes it so hard to evaluate to what extent a language is tributary to Latin or any language that crossed its road.

- JUG

• 6 months later...
I would have loved to have "suffered" through Latin and Greek, but it wasn't part of my education.  I think in the US, that is increasingly a rarer course of study - except maybe for religious schools or upper class schools.

That's odd, the two High School's in my county(these all being in Tnnessee) surrounding counties all offer Latin(two of these schools being only 3A). In fact, we have Latin translation competitions. However, I chose to take Spanish instead of Latin.

Well, the US having a highly decentralized education system, I suppose there will be dramatic differences from region to region. But I don't know of any public schools in a considerable radius that teach Latin or Greek. Spanish is the language of choice, sometimes French. Once in a great while, German.

• 1 month later...

Us Americans live in a society where cultural diversity is stressed, yet learning many different languages at an early age is not, hense some of the discrepensies with learning languages latter in life. I just started Latin and am 21 years old. It is a lot more complex as far as the different endings go, a lot more complex than the French I had in high school, yet it is not too bad after you learn some of the patterns.