UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Empire On Abc

Primus Pilus

I noticed that there are alot of companies named "Arkham" (a publishing company most notably) and I do wonder if ABC wasn't paid to put that in there...:lol:

Actually, I think "Arkham" was their attempt at a ludis, and the weird bald guy with the spiked flails was supposed to be the lanista, but they didn't quite make it. as always, they decided they would make it *interesting*

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree about this travesty of history. I have to admit that I started watching it with an already skeptical mind-set...after all ABC is a Disney owned corporation and Disney is not known for accurately portraying history, but they really have gone off the rails here and each episode seems to stray farther and farther from known facts. All I can do is roll my eyes, shake my head and point out to my sister all the inaccuracies - which I have to say is kinda fun. :lol:

The one thing I will say for this show is that the acting, sets, camera work and cinematography are very good so as far as a visual feast goes it's enjoyable to watch and I'll stick it out to the end.

I hadn't heard about the HBO/BBC extravaganza till I stumbled on this awesome website but I'll definately be among those waiting to lay eyes on it!

You could also turn it into a fun drinking game and give yourself the good ol' alcohol poisoning. I may even try it!

Moonlapse, I like how you think! Now I'm actually looking forward to the final episode. Of course with all the inaccuracies I'll be way hammered but it's all gooooooood. :angry:

I read somewhere that it was originally an 8 hour series, but halfway through production it was way over budget so they cut it back to 6 hours. That means we got the best 6 hours out of 8, doesn't it show? I think spending a large portion of last episode watching the vestal priest play googily eye with Agustus was a good use of their shortened time, don't you?

At most I would say this series is OK. If I'd known how it was going to turn out I'd probably never have bothered to start watching it.

I don't see how next week can possibly be the last episode. They've barely covered anything. This week ended with him and farmboy Agrippa on the run. So next week in a one hour span he's going to go from fugitive to emperor and Agrippa will go from farmboy deserter to General? I don't even want to think about what they have to leave out of this story to make that happen. But I've watched it all so far it'd be like only eating half my burger at McDonald's. I'm going to finish watching it, but I'm going to pay attention to the credits when its over and see what director, producer, script writers, etc I need to avoid in the future.

And what was with those "centurions" they sent after them? I mean, first off (and most obviously) their armor was all wrong. More importantly, thats NOT what centurions did. The would have been back training/leading their respective centuries and NOT hunting down an escaped "emporer".

And what was with those "centurions" they sent after them? I mean, first off (and most obviously) their armor was all wrong. More importantly, thats NOT what centurions did. The would have been back training/leading their respective centuries and NOT hunting down an escaped "emporer".

Just be glad they didn't use Praetorians, since they didn't exist yet :(

And something I've failed to mention so far... why if they are focusing so much attention on gladiators (an inappropriate plot line in my estimation anyway) is the arena so small? It can't be bigger than 10 ft. diameter with enough seating for about 25 spectators. It reminds me of 'Thunderdome'.

I guess we shouold be happy they didn't build the Colosseum 125 years early ;)