UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Small Hoard for Auction: Mixed Feelings

guy

Here's an interesting item coming up for auction soon:

post-3665-0-83068500-1388897249_thumb.jpgpost-3665-0-93907000-1388897250_thumb.jpgpost-3665-0-11763400-1388897252_thumb.jpg

EGYPT. Alexandria. Nero-Antoninus Pius (AD 54-160). Intact hoard of BI (and

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Surprisingly, this small hoard went for only $17,625.00.

Hopefully, some museum or other group bought these coins and will allow them to be on public display.

At least, if the coins are examined individually, they will be closely studied and cataloged. By careful examination, it possibly can be determined (by the date of the coins) whether they were slowly accumulated over the years (for safe keeping or as an offering to the gods) or were they quickly and haphazardly dumped together (because of an impending attack or natural disaster, for example).

The Frome hoard is an example of the successful study of a Roman coin hoard:

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/the-frome-hoard.php

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

...so for how much did you think it should have sold?

The preauction estimate of $30,000-$40,000 seemed high. That said, I think the hoard is priceless for its historical and research value. I think it would be a great addition for any museum.

guy also known as gaius

I take it there was no information on the identity of the buyer? 

It would be good if by law items like this had to be assessed and recorded by experts prior to being sold on the open market.  At least that way the information they contain would be available to posterity.

I partially agree with the Treasure Act of 1996 of England, Wales and Northern Ireland,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Act,_1996

later expanded by the Portable Antiquities Scheme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Antiquities_Scheme

According to these laws:

It legally obliges finders of objects which constitute a legally defined term of treasure to report their find to their local coroner within fourteen days. An inquest led by the coroner then determines whether the find constitutes treasure or not. If it is declared to be treasure then the owner must offer the item for sale to a museum at a price set by an independent board of antiquities experts (Treasure Valuation Committee). Only if a museum expresses no interest in the item, or is unable to purchase it, can the owner retain it.

Scotland has its own law (of course), the Scots Common law. I don't know how this law handles things.

guy also known as guy

Edited by guy