UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Jackie Chan and Mel Gibson in Han vs Rome sort of thing

Viggen

I cringe with expectation. Reminds me of a film I saw some time ago, about a japanese samurai in rennaisance spain (the villain was played by David Essex, who basically had no idea what Spain, villainy, or acting was about). Not the film industry's highest moment. Can you imagine a Jackie Chan film set in Roman times? Defeating a gladiator by swinging underneath a lion? Can't wait.

Edited by caldrail

Not my kind of movie, but it will hopefully renew interest in the Roman Empire / Han dynasty comparison.

Being Romanocentric, I am reminded by my Asian friends that these two empires were near contemporaries, both had around 55 million inhabitants, both had a developed infrastructure, and both had a sophisticated bureaucracy. Surprisingly, although both empires encompassed extensive territories, they were isolated from each other.

Although some of the comparisons are a stretch, it's always good to examine history from other perspectives.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

• 1 month later...

Mel Gibson starring as "Mad Maximus" hehe. Not the highlight of his career, I guess.

• Like 1