UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Treason

lothia

A trial was customary, to observe the law and tradition, but also to show the public that the law will punish the guilty. Trials for lowly people were generally quick (and a foregone conclusion), whereas people of status had every opportunity to indulge in litigation. Even if found guilty, it was likely that the man's reasons for treachery would be demanded at some point, and according to our sources the guilty might well speak out defiantly, justified or not.

There is one trial concerning a plot against a Byzantine/Eastern emperor which I believe took place in the 4oo or 500's (I would have to look it up). Once found guilty his eeyes were gouged out, his tongue cut out, his limbs chopped off, and he was paraded arouind the town for the pleasure of the townsfolk until he was set adrift in a boat which was set alight. I doubt every traitor was treated so thoroughly, but that was ceratinly what the Roman citizenry was capable of dishing out for traitors.

• Like 1

I wouldn't quite blame the roman citizenry on that one, doubt just how to torture him came down to a public forum discussion and vote..... think that was more the inventiveness of a single man..... not to say such a man wouldnt be moved by including constructive imput by others.

Edited by Onasander
  • Like 1

According to Sidonius (Ep. 1.7.5), in 468 Arvandus, the Praetorian Prefect of Gaul, sent a letter to Euric telling him not to make peace with the emperor Anthemius, and stating that Gaul should be divided between the Visigoths and Burgundians.    He was found guilty of treason and was sentenced to death. His friends petitioned the emperor and his sentence was commuted to exile (Cass. Chron. s.a. 469:  Paul. Diac. Hist. Rom. 15.2). 

• Like 1