UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Auxiliaries

Hi, I have a couple of questions about auxiliary forces in the first century AD. When auxiliaries were recruited, were they given the same training as Roman forces? Also, would the commander of an auxiliary cohort also be an auxiliary, or would he be a Roman who had been delegated this responsibility?

''Hi, I have a couple of questions about auxiliary forces in the first century AD. When auxiliaries were recruited, were they given the same training as Roman forces? Also, would the commander of an auxiliary cohort also be an auxiliary, or would he be a Roman who had been delegated this responsibility?''

During the republic the legionaries were supplemented, equal number of soldiers from the latin and Italian allies: the auxiliaries. These supplied lighter troopes and the much-needed cavalry. However, during the empire, when rome started to defend, the auxiliaries were very important because the Auxiliaryman's payment was only half of that of a legionary's. This made them more cheaper and they could be left to guard the borders in a rather large number. The Auxiliaries were sometimes specialized troops such as archers and cavalrymen only, so they got the training that they needed for their speciality. The discipline in the auxilia troops was probably the same what it was in a legion. Correct me if i'm wrong, but this is what I remember reading.

From the Augustus' reign on the Auxiliaries were systematically recruited from non-Roman citizens.

The Auxiliaries were organized into smaller units then the legionaries. The auxilia infantry was grouped into cohorts of 500 or 1000 men and cavalry into similarly sized 'alae' or wings. These smaller sizes made the easier to move around and gave them marching speed. The Centurions of the Auxiliaries were picked from the auxiliaries and they spent their service in the same auxiliary unit, the disciplinary and command structure mirrored that of the legions but was far simpler.