UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Swiss Invasion of US

Onasander

Not particularly surprising.  The British often used mercenaries in the 19th century, as did the other European powers.  And the British army had a pretty heavy commitment in Spain at the time.

Obviously they used them in the revolution (Hessians & Brunswickers) and Swiss colonel Bouquet (a relative?)  commanded in Pennsylvania in the French and Indian War.

Do Irish count ? Many "British" regiments were actually recruited from Catholic Irish.

It matters to me, I do a lot of research of colonial to 1812 frontier warfare. A big issue that Canadians point out is that they resisted largely alone, just using militias to invade the US. I'm obviously not talking about the southern campaigns.

Now I know they had well experienced troops from South Africa, Sri Lanka, and Napoleonic backgrounds.

The US had to defend potentially from every front, whereas Canada only had to push south. I fully expect every troop.... be it Canada or US, to be roughly similarly trained with similar stock men in it, so never cared to judge the esprite of nations here.

But now it makes more sense, they had these foreign units who hung around, training up the militias prior to the invasion. Something every Canadian historian I've ever chatted with omitted.

But they still lost this campaign. The lost to the Cotton Bailers (3rd Infantry Division) in Louisiana, and God totally stomped the British Army with his awesome assault with 3 Tornadoes in Washington, DC.

God's the best ally, he has all the best toys.

http://www.afweather.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123042444

Edited by Onasander

• 3 weeks later...

Can I recomend a visit to Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake, if you're ever visiting Niagara Falls.  Easy to get to by bus.

There's also Old Fort Niagara on the US side, but I haven't been, so can't give a recomendation.