UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Historical Fiction Novel

Skarr

I'm an aspiring novelist and am over forty years old. I have always been fascinated with Rome and its history and am surprised to see that so many young people (below 18) are so knowledgable!

I'm primarily fascinated with the Republic (before Caesar) from a historical viewpoint and my novel is set in 120 BC and features Marcus Aemilius Scaurus prominently. You can view my profile on my blog at http://romanhistoricalnovel.blogspot.com.

I'm in the process of setting up a web site to promote my work and this is under construction at the moment. Will update my blog once this is up and running, for those interested. ( Update - September 14 2005 ; my new site is up and running now. Click on the link below my name to access this)

Congratulations on getting your book published Skarr!

Now a question if I may, (based soley on your self description 'This novel is intended only for a very mature type of audience, as there are many scenes described in the novel which can only be explained as being purely erotic and sensual, but also essential to the characters and the story') ...

My personal preferences regarding fiction is generally to ignore/turn off erotica. No I am not a prude, I just prefer to be in its own self-contained environment. As an example, when watching a movie... I like implied sex (ie a couple begins kissing and such while the screen fades to black) vs. 15 minute gratuitous sex scenes that take away from the real plot. (Unless the plot is sex, but then I'm not talking about those kinds of movies =P). I have a rather vivid imagination, and can fill in the blanks ;)

In McCullough's Rome series there are some detailed scenes between Caesar and Servilia, and some others with Sulla early on, as I recall. Considering the length of the books though, these were relatively short and concise 'affairs', that didn't take away, but rather enhanced what I enjoyed about the series.

Based on this assessment, and someone who is generally quite the stickler when it comes to accuracy in historical fiction... do you think your novel is something I would enjoy?

I will read it anyway, but I'm curious what you think, to give our community a better feel.

Regardless congratulations again, and I look forward to reading it. (I'll wait until its actually published in a book form... just my personal preference) Keep us up to date and good luck!

Chris

When i started reading McCulloughs Rome series i really didnt like it,her writing style isnt what your used to in Historical fiction,but i found the more i read the more i enjoyed it.

Hope your novels as good Skarr,look forward to reading it ;)

L

Once you read the novel, it will be apparent why I chose to include the scenes you find described there.

When I wrote this work (over ten years), I finally wound up with a gargantuan piece of work and most publishers I approached told me to split this into three volumes, as it would be difficult for them to sell this.

BTW, I just got approached by a screenplay writer, who's interested in making a movie out of this. Anyway, hopefully my novel will do well (my publisher at least thinks so and so do my friends). However, this is not the opinion I'm looking for but from readers such as yourself, so that I can swallow any pride and bear any comments / criticisms and seek to improve the drafts of the second and third novels, which are undergoing final edits. [ Email me direct at skarr@budweiser.com]

I wrote this novel primarily for entertainment purposes and if people have a good time and fun while reading it, I think I have fulfilled my purpose. I have always been fascinated by Rome and while I do like Colleen McCullough, I find her writing a little too dull for my taste, although she's very well informed and there's a lot you can learn from her books. However, in parts, it is like reading a history book. I think my novel combines elements of history, fantasy, adventure, eroticism etc. In any case, read it and let me know if you enjoy it. I have also published this on www.ebookad.com pending its release in print. [ I have a feeling that the erotic content will be much toned down when it's finally out in print; however, if you want to read the unexpurgated version, download the ebook].

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the new cover to my novel, which will be out in print soon after the publisher goes through the final edits. You can click on the site listed under my signature to view the cover!

Thanks, Moonlapse. It's been a long, rocky road to get this published. I feel that I'm still at the very beginning as this needs to now translate into book sales. Hopefully, it will do well.

A new version of the ebook has just been uploaded at the site ebookad.com, where you can download my novel in various formats. This version has much more enhanced historical detail, which was cut out from the earlier edition due to some ongoing discussion with the publisher. I have now included these omitted sections as I think it greatly enhances the overall enjoyment of the novel.

Also, check out the synopsis, which I'm posting here as well as on my site. I just heard from my publisher that the novel should hit stores worldwide sometime in September. If you can't wait, you can always download the ebook, available in various formats at www.ebookad.com

Here is the synopsis :

After an explosive start (Prologue) where a boy is kidnapped by a powerful barbarian chief, the story begins nearly ten years later, when the boy has now grown into a powerful man, a barbarian giant with almost superhuman strength but with one major physical defect, one which could kill him if he's not careful. He also has no real status and although he loves the princess he grew up with, he cannot marry her, as he is no more than a stable boy in the eyes of his 'adopted' father, the barbarian chief.

Marcus Trebonius Drusus, a young Roman knight of the Ordo Equester of the Republic of Rome in 120 BC is extremely depressed and angry when the story begins. He has just married a beautiful princess with all the physical attributes that any man would desire in a woman. However, there is a major problem. She has a lover, this same barbarian giant whom she cannot abandon, even after marriage. He must marry her though, to forge an alliance between the senate of Rome and her people through a treaty. Although he does not love her, the presence of his wife

• 3 weeks later...
Skarr,

If you don't mind me asking, who is your publisher? I'm in the process of writing one (a H-F novel) and it's always good to know who will invest in this genre...

Kind Regards,

Sean

He he a lot of aspiring writers here I see. I to has to confess to the same "crime", writing a novel set during the civil War between Sulla and Marius. Unfortunatly I think it will be a bit of a problem to get it published here in Sweden. We got few publishers and they are, what would you say, a little bit conservative. There hasn't come a fiction story about Rome from this country yet, but maybe I will be the one to break the wall. :(

I'm not sure if I can post here with the name of the publisher without checking with him but I'll be glad to send you his contact information if you have a manuscript ready for review. Please email me separately on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Viggen. I have a new update on my book and have just been informed that it will be released on September 15, 2005 to bookstores.

If you're interested in reading my book, please ask for it as they may not have it available on the shelves in all stores, except for a few big stores like Borders or Barnes & Noble. In any case, it should be available online at Amazon, etc. and in case you have difficulty in locating a copy, you can always contact me via private message.