UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Historical Historians

dnewhous

20The people of  vReuben, Israel’s firstborn, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, head by head, every male from twenty years old and upward, all who were able to go to war: 21those listed of the tribe of Reuben were  w46,500. 22Of the people of Simeon, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, those of them who were listed, according to the number of names, head by head, every male from twenty years old and upward, all who were able to go to war: 23those listed of the tribe of Simeon were  x59,300. 24Of the people of Gad, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of the names, from twenty years old and upward, all who were able to go to war: 25those listed of the tribe of Gad were  y45,650.

Bibles, Crossway. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References) (pp. 494-495). Good News Publishers. Kindle Edition.

from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 27those listed of the tribe of Judah were  z74,600. 28Of the people of Issachar, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 29those listed of the tribe of Issachar were  a54,400. 30Of the people of Zebulun, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 31those listed of the tribe of Zebulun were  b57,400. 32Of the people of Joseph, namely, of the people of Ephraim, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 33those listed of the tribe of Ephraim were  c40,500. 34Of the people of Manasseh, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 35those listed of the tribe of Manasseh were  d32,200. 36Of the people of Benjamin, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 37those listed of the tribe of Benjamin were  e35,400. 38Of the people of Dan, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 39those listed of the tribe of Dan were  f62,700. 40Of the people of Asher, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 41those listed of the tribe of Asher were  g41,500. 42Of the people of Naphtali, their generations, by their clans, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war: 43those listed of the tribe of Naphtali were  h53,400. 44 iThese are those who were listed, whom Moses and Aaron listed with the help of the chiefs of Israel, twelve men, each representing his fathers’ house. 45So all those listed of the people of Israel, by their fathers’ houses, from twenty years old and upward, every man able to go to war in Israel— 46all those listed were  j603,550.

Bibles, Crossway. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References) (pp. 495-496). Good News Publishers. Kindle Edition.

38Those who were to camp before the tabernacle on the east, before the tent of meeting toward the sunrise, were Moses and Aaron and his sons,  sguarding the sanctuary itself, to protect [2] the people of Israel. And any outsider who came near was to be put to death. 39All those listed among the Levites, whom Moses and Aaron listed at the commandment of the LORD, by clans, all the males from a month old and upward, were  t22,000.

Bibles, Crossway. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References) (p. 501). Good News Publishers. Kindle Edition.

The Levites seam to constitute the religious caste of the jews.

If you're wondering about piracy, I hear the trick is to drink a bottle of rum before you're 6 months.

Another thing that helps is to go through communist indoctrination in preschool.  I did not have the full dosage of either.  I'm sorry, the benefit to your behavior of what communists teach is immeasurable.

Edited by dnewhous

• 1 month later...

There is a famous quote from Serizewa Kamo.  "Tonight my kotetsu yearns for blood."  A kotetsu is a katana made by someone named "kotetsu."  They are rare and valuable.  It is pertinent to the historial interpretation of the status of the shinsengumi, whether they were impoverished men who were desperate, or whether they were well funded and dangerous.

• 4 weeks later...

This is something I am adding that may be overblown and it may be huge, Mutiny: The True Events that Inspired the Hunt for Red October by David Gagberg. 

What did we capture?  Most conservative bloviating about technological progress is bullshit.  But, I know Pratt and Whitney once lost an engine contract that set us way behind where we should be.

The equipment that came out of the Carter era was mostly excellent.  The range on F18 leaves an awful lot to be desired.

But the notion that we fell behind in submarine technology is dubious.  Except for that incident.  Did they really have a caterpillar drive in 1975?  That would have been alarming.

Edited by dnewhous

• 3 months later...

There's an epic poem called "The Chronicle" by Robert Manning of Brunne that is in old English and appears to be an origin of the king Arthur story.  The main character is called "Brutus" and there is a "Merlyn" character.  The introduction also refers to "...Wace's Brut..."  I didn't get a good publication or copyright but the condition of the book at Library West was superior. 

There is a wikipedia page with some information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mannyng

The library listing is peculiar

The chronicle

Mannyng, Robert, fl. 1288-1338.; Sullens, Idelle.

What does fl stand for?  I think it means Latin, flourit, which means "flourished."

I do remember a little from Stingley, which in some ways was harder than the University of Florida.  Only a hatamoto was a samurai, the lower level of peerages were not.  Similarly, with Europe, only a duke was a knight, the lower peerages do not count.  And a vassal is a marquisse.

When a daimyo musters, I gather it would include the hatamoto, gokenin, hizurami, and ashigaru; not the goshi.  

Yet ashigaru do not bear arms in peacetime.

I bought something mentioning a "Green Book of ..." in addition to the "Black Book of Carmathen" as the origin of the Arthur story.

Edited by dnewhous

• 5 months later...

K, I remember the historical definition of Christian for items not people from Roy E Lancaster - something is Christian if it has an identification number from the Roman empire.  The Roman empire is Switzerland.  So ISBN numbers make a book Christian.  We wish the authority were with US congress.  It is not.

Swiss soldiers have been in this country at least 4 times when American law enforcement has failed.

Edited by dnewhous