UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

English To Latin Translation: "life Is Beautiful"

Guest RMB

Greetings,

I'd like to translate the phrase "Life is Beautiful" into Latin.

Here is what I have so far:

"vita pulchra est"

"vita bella"

"vita est pulchra"

"vita est bella"

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll attempt to explain where this phrase comes from, and hopefully this will confirm that "vita pulchra est" is an apt translation.

This phrase was written by Leon Trotsky. While being targeted for execution, he was staring out of a window and watching his wife in the garden. This scene inspired Trotsky to write that life is beautiful, even though his world was coming to an end.

It's not exactly a physical beauty, rather each word is supposed to be complimentary of each other - beauty = life and life = beauty.

I hope that "vita pulchra est" is still the ideal translation. If there is a more applicable translation, with regards to the above description of the phrase, then I'd love to hear it!

Kind regards,

Ryan

• 5 months later...

I know its old now, but bellum (war) actually comes duellum - a duel. Beautiful is bellus, -a, -um, an adjective as pompeius rightly said. Consider bello, -a in Italian or belle in French.

So you have either "vita bella est" or "vita pulchra est". Pulchra probably is closer to "pretty" than beautiful, though. I'd prefer the former.

As for "my father, my friend" - if your father were Roman and you said that to him, he'd beat you senseless! Constantinus just told you to call your father a girl - not something advisable. The correct answer should be "pater meus, amicus meus" or also "Meus pater, meus amicus".

If you want to address you father directly, like, "Hello to you, my father, my friend" - you would use the vocative instead: "Bene tibi, me pater, me amice."

For your father as a direct object, like "I love my father, my friend" - you would say: "Meum patrem, meum amicum amo."

As an indirect object, such as "I give this gift to my father, my friend" - use: "Patri meo, amico meo donum do."

If it's plain old "My father, my friend" that you want - like on a coffee mug - try "Pater meus, Amicus meus."

*bangs head on desk* Haha, I'm pretty reckless. I gotta start noticing gender difference. :) There's always something I forget to remember.

Miles de gracias

Edited by che

• 2 weeks later...