UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lions used in executions in Britain?

I think the evidence is flimsy for the use of lions for executions in Britain. This image of a lion on an elaborate key is interesting, nevertheless:

3EB88213-5492-4DF5-9E7F-42E2455CC5DD.thumb.jpeg.82bc1db0b348e2fe2121ee765359e9fe.jpeg

The main figure portrayed on the handle displays many of the features associated with such ‘Barbarians’ including mane-like hair, a bushy beard, bulging eyes, and the wearing of trousers below a naked torso. The lion is wrapped around his body and bites the side of his head. Beneath the struggle, four naked youths stare outwards; the older two appearing to protect their younger compatriots, one of whom may hold a stone. The youths are thought to symbolise the ‘children of the tribe’ and their imminent demise demonstrates what happens when Roman conquest is opposed.”

https://www.miragenews.com/thrown-to-lions-new-evidence-from-roman-britain-609741/

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/thrown-to-the-lions-new-evidence-from-roman-britain-executions-revealed

Edited by guy

Just a personal point of view but this does not look like an execution at all. If it was, the lion would be on top, triumphant, surely? Perhaps this has more to do with mythology or is a reference to someone associated with lions?

Isn't there a famous mural that has in within it a depiction of a man tied to a pole and a lion biting (or about to bite) his face?  It always gave me the shudders. Imagine the horror of the moment.

This was a common method of executing criminals. Not just lions. either. There's an anecdote (I wanted to track it but my 'safesearch' settings are locked into strict mode because I live in England and thus refuses to do anything except proudly announce my internet search won't happen) in the Roman sources where the writer describes how the victim is being attacked by a bear and no longer the shape a man would be.

@Guy - Yeah, I got it, but look closely at the depiction. It can be interpreted differently. To me it looks like the lion is nuzzling a familiar human. Please note that 'throwing to the lions' is a common theme in the popular perception of Rome and the info is playing to that crowd. Okay, it might be the case, but I'm just not convinced.