UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Modern-day Pompeii at La Palma Island, Spain

guy

99gE7B.gif

Madrid(CNN)The Cumbre Vieja volcano on Spain's La Palma island is continuing to expel molten lava and ash after erupting on Sunday and is likely to do so for days, the president of the Canary Islands regional government warned Monday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/09/20/europe/spain-canary-islands-volcano-evacuations-intl/index.html

Great video on volcano:

This video shows the horrifyingly spectacular images of this volcano:

Location of La Palma:

6E0C3B29-95FF-46C7-B05C-0A001A79F4BF.jpeg.e0c30737ffa63be13e888c46c10d1767.jpeg

Edited by guy

La Palma volcano live:

Edited by guy

(December 5)

Edited by guy

• 2 weeks later...

4F7DEA8A-1578-4FD6-801E-27A4B36F3136.thumb.jpeg.14ea11ac8f695d0838d3438fe4ed2481.jpeg

This image, captured by the Copernicus Sentinel-2 mission on September 30, 2021, shows the flow of lava from the volcano erupting on the Spanish island of La Palma. The cascade of lava can be seen spilling into the Atlantic Ocean, extending the size of the coastline.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scitechdaily.com/stunning-satellite-image-shows-lava-burning-a-path-to-the-sea-from-la-palma-volcano/amp/

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of lava flow from this volcano is overwhelming. (This could also explain why so few bodies have been found at Pompeii.)

The controversy of the number of survivors after the volcanic explosion of Pompeii was discussed on a previous thread:

Edited by guy

The catastrophe continues with no end in sight:

https://scitechdaily.com/sulfur-skies-over-la-palma-no-signs-that-cumbre-vieja-volcanic-eruption-is-calming/amp/

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I find it incredible that this volcano is still producing activity (November 24):

Edited by guy

On 10/23/2021 at 4:56 PM, Novosedoff said:

The Spanish podcast that I am listening ridiculed a Spanish official who proposed to bring more international tourists to the island in order to watch the rare event forgetting that the vapor from volcano is extremely toxic 😁

It may be possible to deal with this, as does Hawaii with tons of active volcano tourists over decades. As a last crazy feat of my teflon youth, I made a night hike along a lava flow and followed it to the ocean where it actually floated glowingly due to bubbles! I was right next to the flow with no worry of fumes due to a reliable catabatic offshore flow of wind which I was very familiar with having waited to paraglide off a 13000+ volcano there for day after day. I flew and survived a violent collapse that day, so had leftover adrenaline to deal with collapse of cold lava crust with an instant leap to safety. In between the flight and lava walk, I think I also swam with giant manta rays, an expenditure of energy and danger avoidance that seems inconceivable to my existence now.

P.S. I follow various sail cruising channels, and it is odd that none quite ran into the volcano timeframe. It is a common last resupply stop for European boats to follow favorable winds and currents to the Caribbean, and seems somewhat backward in terms of services the sailors can call on for repairs or whatever.

Edited by caesar novus

I’m surprised that the volcanic activity continues more than two months later:

Two months seems brief to me. Here is Hawaii's volcanos, where pink zones over the decades are labeled "essentially continuous activity". Granted it is an unusually slow and steady example:

1540px-K%C4%ABlauea_eruptions_in_record_

What I do for viewing is visit on a calm night. Then should develop a catabatic gravity wind flushing fumes downslope and offshore. Night means less officialdom to shoe away visitors and easy ID of hot glowing rock that just looks dull grey in daylight. My biggest fear was falling thru crust over a receding magma channel. So I only did this once in my life, and in a super vigilant state like a cat burglar. Carry backup flashlights, and don't stray far from other crazy visitors. In fact, simply watch a 4k youtube video by a daring intruder; I know  some show floating, glowing bubble lava reaching Hawaii waters.

I watch a couple sail cruising channels that visit these Canary isles for provisioning. One passed thru just as the eruption was starting and only experienced thicker than usual cloud cover. Now my favorite such channel is approaching there with a little toddler. I wonder if they will be bold and visit, maybe letting the little one get close in a lesson of Swedish self sufficiency, or?

Edited by caesar novus
  • Like 1

Above sailboat is now at west end of La Palma chain, so should have something to say about conditions in future videos released every friday. I will attempt to post a dynamic map showing where they are, but first wanted to show the sight of floating hot lava. Beware of roiling clouds of lung-scalding steam near spots where lava drops into water:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=265781780
Edited by caesar novus

• 4 weeks later...

I love hot lava vs water, but here is a case where the lava can win. I cue this up at 11:26 where a swimming pool in La Palma is blasting off from trickles of lava. The sailing couple is staying there a while and start to show life under the cinders, etc.

Edited by caesar novus