UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome and the Barbarians video course

caesar novus

Here, in this awkward topic fit, is praise of a high quality video course. It used to cost $hundreds https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/rome-and-the-barbarians but now can be found for little as used disks on ebay, or streamed for free from your library. My library streams a rotating selection of "Great Courses" from an app called Kanopy. It's best to access video rather than just audio due to good maps, etc. Anyway the professor is very knowledgeable and engaging even tho a bit stiff and a pirate accent (making everything sound like "rrrr"). I avoided it for a while due to not wanting to dwell on Rome's sad end. But it has a rich focus on Roman ways and comparisons with my barbaric ancestors.

3460.jpg

This is one of Professor Kenneth Harl’s marvelous courses at Wondrium (formally known as Great Courses).  He is a fantastic lecturer. He shares his vast knowledge in an entertaining way. 
I have seen almost all his courses. I recommend  highly all his courses, especially Rome and the Barbarians, The Fall of the Pagans and the Origins of Medieval Christianity, Barbarian Empires of the Steppes, among others.

Professor Harl is a great teacher (and a respected numismatist). I recommend watching any of his courses.