UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Possible 4500 year-old third sun temple found

guy

Ancient sources suggest that there six temples built to the sun god Ra in ancient Egypt between 2500 to 2350 BCE. Until recently, only two of these temples have been identified. Archaeologists may have identified a third sun temple underneath a later temple.

F72EE699-9370-4B1F-9FFA-B3FBC1D0075B.jpeg.b017fe1ca5bfdb9ddb9c89fae5d430b9.jpeg

During this era, temples were dedicated to the sun god Ra and kings who reigned were seen as his only living sons on earth.”

Meanwhile, pyramids were built as a place to bury pharaohs to ensure they became gods in the afterlife.”

It is always humbling to remember that the period of time between today and Cleopatra is shorter than the time between these earliest Egyptian structures and Cleopatra’s reign.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/archaeologists-discover-4500-year-old-sun-temple-in-egypt/PF7MVUUW7NQNE2BB7LL3X4HJW4/

CF8E4156-C2B6-4D65-85D4-96675EE8400A.png.44b00ac772e3b1338d7a7dbf85643743.png

Here is an excellent video explaining the find:

Yes, Egypt was a suprisingly long lived nation. I'm also becoming aware of how conservative they could be, ignoring some technological advances despite developing some of their own. They were in many ways the most glaring example of a long term human society gradually getting stuck in their ways and losing the dynamism of youth. 

Then again, Egypt is so full of abrupt change, not least the succession of foreign dynasties that ruled them. The bizarre and tragic reign of Akhenaton. The complete move of the city of Tanis from one dried up river to a another watercourse, literally, dismantling the old city and hauling the stones to build a new one somewhere else. I remain a romanophile, but a part of me thinks that even Roman achievements are sometimes a little paltry compared to Egypt.

Perhaps what is more important is that I'm beginning to see how Egypt was a transitional society between prehistory and the classical world.