UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Amenhotep I digitally unwrapped

guy

C9660EA8-617C-4D5E-94C6-4C692D5B29E8.gif.8d6890ce5025ca7cc5f2df54039256f1.gif

The use of modern technology, in this case a CT scan, yields new insights into the ancient world:

The mummy of Amenhotep I, who ruled from 1525 to 1504 BC, was found at a site in Deir el-Bahari 140 years ago.

But archaeologists have refrained from opening it in order to preserve the exquisite face mask and bandages.

Computer topography (CT) scans have now revealed previously unknown information about the pharaoh and his burial.” 

“We show that Amenhotep I was approximately 35 years old when he died. He was approximately 169cm tall, circumcised, and had good teeth. Within his wrappings, he wore 30 amulets and a unique golden girdle with gold beads.”

“Amenhotep I seems to have physically resembled his father: he had a narrow chin, a small narrow nose, curly hair, and mildly protruding upper teeth.”

This is an amazing look at someone who lived more than fourteen centuries before Cleopatra met Marc Antony.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-59808883

https://scitechdaily.com/mummy-of-pharaoh-amenhotep-i-unwrapped-for-the-first-time-in-3000-years-heres-what-scientists-found/

Here is a previous thread on the use of scanners to see the contents of wrapped or covered animal remains in a non-invasive and non-destructive fashion:

Edited by guy