UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

August 8,117ad

longbow

On August 8, 117 AD Publius Aelius Traianus Hadrianus, better known as Hadrian, succeeded Trajan as Roman Emperor, and began one of the more stable periods in Roman history.

but I just wanted to know what was the point of posting it.

Its just a anniversary post, 1888 years ago today Hadrian was made Emperor,i like stuff like that :huh:

Posts like these sometimes lead to further information about the subject, a means to get people talking and sharing their knowlege. This particular subject is out of my realm as I tend to study mid-republic through to Julio-Claudians with a bit of Flavian. But Hadrian is of particular interest to the Brits because of the wall he built.

lets see if we can ressurect it :D

Publius Aelius Travanus Hadrianus

Hadrian was born on 24/1/76AD in Italica,son of Publius Hadrianus Afer.

He joined the Legions as a Tribune of Legio II Adiutrix and later served the Legio I Minervia in germania.

He then served a Legion(dont know which) as a Legate,then became Governor of the Pannonia region

He reached his Consulate at the age of 32,the earliest possible age.

When emperor Trajen died,Hadrian used some dodgy adoption papers to get acclaimed Emperor from the senate,the legitamacy of the adoptions a bit of a moot point ,The real source of Hadrian's legitimacy arose from the support of the army.

Four Roman senators were killed on his acclamation but he denied any knowledge of the event,but the senate didnt believe him and allways resented him.

He spent a lot of time travelling the Empire. He fancied himself as a bit of a Architect and started a lot of building projects.

He loved Greek culture and is often portrayed on coins sporting a greek style beard,unusual for a Roman of that time.

He died on 7/10/138AD and is remembered as one of the five good Emperors.

On his death the pesky senators tried to blacken his name but his succesor defended him.

Any one got anything to add about Hadrian?

Longbow

August 8th ; is the day in 117 AD of Trajan's death. Hadrian was voted by the senate the usual Imperial Powers on August 11th and thus was the Emperor.

I'm afraid you have mistaken your dates.

It was not four senators who were killed ; but rather Hadrian's orders that four of Trajans general be murdered because they were accused of ploting his assassination..

There were many controversial circumstances with Trajans death, the sudden Adoption papers of Hadrian after Trajans death. Those papers reached Hadrian at Antioch , followed on the eleventh hour by the news of Trajans death. The same day , the troops proclaimed him emperor!.

regards,