UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome reborn … almost

guy

Darius Arya has put together an excellent modern recreation of Ancient Rome. I have problems, however, with the fact that the marble structures depicted are mostly unpainted white. We know that Rome was, in fact, a colorful (and filthy) place:

Similar recreations of Ancient Greece failed to show the vibrant colors of the city:

Edited by guy

He didn't so much put it together, but made an infomercial for sombodies paid app that does the display. There are loads of these recreation videos and even the recent ones just don't feel natural. I think the color issue is overstated; you can see original Roman townscape paintings and see a lot of white with color accents.

One issue is weathering; everything looks near brand new in these videos rather than in various stages of weathering. It reminds me of Italian disneyfied tourist traps like Positano or Portovenere which looked more natural when at least some of the buildings were in disrepair due to bankrupt or dying owners. Now they must have an HOA type tyranny to keep fresh pastel paint everywhere.

Years ago recreation videos looked false due to lack of haze. Then the added haze looked false due to it's uniformity. It now does have sort of patchy haze and clouds, but seems to need differential ageing on facades including dark stains from water and maybe smoke. Maybe moss or vines that you see in neglected Via Appia structures?

Edited by caesar novus