UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Would Happen If Julius Was Not Killed

Would their not have been a political change from Republic to Empire  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would their not have been a political change from Republic to Empire

• Yes
    • No

What would happen If Julius Was not Assasinated would the Roman Republic stayed alive? Would Julius have conquered Europe? Asia? The World? Would we still accept Roman authority today?

It is widely known that when Caesar was assasinated, he was planning to head east to begin a campaign against the Parthians. I believe he would have been successful eventually, and a huge source of wealth would finally have been tapped. I believe the glory gained by Caesar would inspire the beginning of an empire. When (or if!) Caesar conquered the Parthian Empire, then who knows. Caesar could have conquered India then moved on to China. The sky's the limit! However, by the time Caesar had done all this, he most likely will have died, whether from old age or assasination. Either way, a vast territory and vast wealth is now under Rome's control, and the guiding force, Caesar, is dead. Thus, many rivals (Octavian, Antony if he's still alive, etc) would fight for control of the empire, and that would finish off the Republic.

I believe there's been a thread similar to this before, perhaps you should consult it as well?

There would still be an empire, and it would have been less conservative than the one Augustus erected in the face of Caesar's assassination. However, I doubt if an aging and ill Caesar would have lived long enough to see the conquest of Asia, provided Rome even had the means to do so.

I personally am i strong believer in Julius not accepting emperorship and remaining dictator, the people loved him, he was bringing great victories all over the world, although he did, when several people hailed him as emperor and the tribunes threw them in the dungeons, got very angry at them and dismissed them, however he would not accept a crown even after several offers.