UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Virgil61

Salve Citizens,

I was at a dinner in Hollywood Friday with some industry execs and the scuttlebut was HBO is disappointed with the number of viewers to Rome. WHen I mentioned that they ordered a second season, they said they did it to justify the very expensive price tag and hoping it will find it's audience. I know some series like The Sopranos and Star Trek Next Generation took two seasons to gather a wide audience. I just hope a show as smart as Rome doesn't fall so soon. Make sure and tell your friends to tune in to HBO's Rome and get their numbers up.

I am still upset HBO cancelled Carnivale. I am hoping the same does not happen to ROME. Carnivale was given a second season as well and they were hoping to get more viewers. The worst part was Carnivale was cancelled before they got to finish the story and left us fans out to dry. Other HBO shows were given a chance to at least know it was their last season and finish up like 6 feet under, and sex and the city. Oh well.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I'm applauding the writers ability to maintain historical persepctive while developing plausible details.

Absolutely, that is what impresses me most about the series. In spite of my disappointment about the lack of any combat scenes, the attention to the smallest details and keeping the soap opera portion pretty much within what we know of Roman culture deserves kudos.

I am still upset HBO cancelled Carnivale. I am hoping the same does not happen to ROME. Carnivale was given a second season as well and they were hoping to get more viewers. The worst part was Carnivale was cancelled before they got to finish the story and left us fans out to dry. Other HBO shows were given a chance to at least know it was their last season and finish up like 6 feet under, and sex and the city. Oh well.

This weekend I watched an episode of Carnivale, the one where the ferris wheel had an accident and the blond stripper got married. Based just on this episode I don't know why people love it so much, was damn boring and sort of cliche. The only person I liked was the midget because he kept yelling at everyone. :*****:

This weekend I watched an episode of Carnivale, the one where the ferris wheel had an accident and the blond stripper got married. Based just on this episode I don't know why people love it so much, was damn boring and sort of cliche. The only person I liked was the midget because he kept yelling at everyone. :*****:

With Carnivale, you did have to know what was going on, but once you watched a couple of episodes, it got very interesting. What sucks is that we were all built up for this big showdown between good and evil, and they cancelled it. I wrote an email to HBO, expressing my disappointment. Denec is right, there are a few other shows I'd rather see get the axe.

Thanks for the link to the article on the actor who plays Vorenus. In this last episode I liked the way they wound up the story of Cato at Utica, although I was disappointed not to see him thrust his fingers into his own wounds and rip them open again. Good family hour entertainment. I was wondering if they were going to continue the war with the story of Sextus Pompeius in Spain, I thought they let him get away for a reason. But it seems like thats wrapped up. So how does everyone feel about Octavian having the hots for his own sister?

Thanks for the link to the article on the actor who plays Vorenus. In this last episode I liked the way they wound up the story of Cato at Utica, although I was disappointed not to see him thrust his fingers into his own wounds and rip them open again. Good family hour entertainment. I was wondering if they were going to continue the war with the story of Sextus Pompeius in Spain, I thought they let him get away for a reason. But it seems like thats wrapped up. So how does everyone feel about Octavian having the hots for his own sister?

Sextus will be around for a long time yet. He was still causing trouble in the Mediterranean for years to come, despite the events to come in Spain. (although the same can't be said for Labienus, who was noticeably absent from the cast of characters and Gnaeus Pompey the younger.) Munda did occur after Caesar's triumphs, so nothing is out of place yet historically just yet. However, considering how Pharsalus (one of the most important battles in the history of the western world) was shirked off as a secondary event, I doubt much attention will be given to the Spanish campaign.

The Octavian/Octavia trist was a little uncomfortable I suppose but again, this is not something that is completely outside the realm of possibilities.

First off, I'm new here and like many of you I enjoy every and all things roman. HBOs Rome has been a great addition to my otherwise boring sunday evening.

Can anyone tell me, Vorenus is now a "Magistrate" as appointed by Caesar, but what exactly does that mean?

As I understand it, as a former 1st Spear Centurion, Vorenus should be an equestrion now right? Not only that, he's also a Prefect. That being the case, why is he still living in a rather small 'apartment'?

I totally love this show....

-ATM

Welcome to UNRV!

I'll have to rewatch that scene with Caesar again asking him to join him, because I think it was not specified what he was doing exactly.

You know his place is not so small! He has a whole courtyard a various adjoining quarters for friends and slaves. He's not doing bad for himself in the big cramped city of Rome. :)

BBC on HBO Rome

Ciaran Hinds says;

"It was never less than a challenge, but it was a huge, exciting project. A part of me will miss not being in the next series."

So the first series ends with his death, right?

cheers

viggen

It would certainly be a logical end point, methinks.

Did anyone notice the cockatiels in the show? Most or all the birds in the cages in the latest episode were cockatiels. The only problem with that (I know this because I have one) is that they are Australian birds. It is extremely unlikely that anyone outside of Australia and New Zealand would have had one (much less many) in the ancient world.

Salve!

well weve been waiting long enough-tonights the night Rome is beamed into the huts of the Brigantes by strange ethereal sorcery! Are the Auguries correct? Im off to get some woad slapped on , a supply of beer brewed by the Belgae from the taberna, an exotic dish of meats flavoured by spices from the Indus , put extra dung on the fire, pen the cattle against wolves and leave the learned rhetoric of Tacitus to loftier intellects. :)