UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome and... BBC too

Virgil61

2) Was Vercingetorix strangled in public like that? I thought it was done in private in the dungeons of the Mamertine.

That is correct I think. It was done out of the public eye.

Vercingetorix was strangled in the Tullianum, a subterranean chamber in the Carcer, accessible only by a hole through which he was lowered by the executioner who would have gone down and then strangled him. He was tired of living and was probably looking forward to it. Disgraced, defeated and paraded like an animal, a proud man like him must have had a hard time in captivity after being king to hundreds of thousands of warriors.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense: HBO has done a pretty good job of keeping in line with historically accuracy, so why break the trend with strangling Vercingetorix out in public, when, as is apparently the case, he was killed in secret? For all intents and purposes, he was essentially written off in the first episode after he surrendered to Caesar.

Wat up wit dis????

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Primus Pilus, I agree with your wife's observation about Caesar, and it is disconcerting. Caesar was loved by the people, hated by the Boni. Yet in this series, I don't get any sense of affection between Caesar and the head count. Further, they are making Caesar seem like he does want to be king. I do not get any sense of even ambiguity from him on this point. Everything he does seems to be self protective, like trying to send Brutus out of Rome, not because he needed him to govern Macedonia, or because he was trying to help his career, but because it would make Caesar feel safer. He has a minor personage assassinated because he speaks against Caesar? Where is Caesar's mercy? Where is Caesar's confidence? Where is the man who is indifferent to threats because he has such a strong clear vision of what Rome can be? When he is assassinated, there will be no sense of a great man lost, of a dream dying, of unfinished business. I think of Caesar guiding the stream of history - this Caesar of "Rome" is just floating along in the stream with everybody else.

Still and all, I love this show. I waited my whole life for something like this. I think one of the best indicators of its quality is that it is mostly so "right" that we notice all the more when something is wrong.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense: HBO has done a pretty good job of keeping in line with historically accuracy, so why break the trend with strangling Vercingetorix out in public, when, as is apparently the case, he was killed in secret? For all intents and purposes, he was essentially written off in the first episode after he surrendered to Caesar.

Wat up wit dis????

Because it was more theatrical to have him killed during the triumph. It made you pity the fallen Gaul, and cheer his people finding and burning his body (even though there is nothing about that in history books either). It gave finality to his conquest of Gaul. It gets you ready to watch the fall of Caesar.

But mostly it was so we could see a Frenchman in rouge get strangled.

I think the way Brutus' character is being portrayed is awesome and is a very powerful performance by the actor. By far the best character acting. I am no fan of the historical Brutus but this portrayal makes me almost sympathize with him.

Edited by P.Clodius

I think the writers made some wrong choices concerning Caesar's portrayal. However, I guess it is in keeping with their view of Caesar as a manipulative man who sought to control and keep his position in Rome not only secure but was also a little paranoid about criticism. I do think Caesar was sensitive to criticism but I do not think he would stoop to murdering people either. Everyone on the streets of Rome would know Posca and if they saw him with a known gangster like Erastes Fulmen, it would soon be all over the city that it was Caesar behind the assassination. Why would Caesar resort to such petty methods? It was not in his nature and he was already dictator and for life, too.

I think this does a great disservice to Caesar and perhaps it is a quirky attempt to make him seem like an ordinary man who presumed to be great but was no better than any other greedy politician or other man who hungered for personal power. Well, at the end of the day, no one knows what the real Caesar did and it seems unlikely, given what we know about the man.

However, it is always possible that even he eliminated some enemies quietly and while this is certainly possible, many would argue that it was not likely or probable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and have reviewed it again on my site, particularly after watching Ep 11. I think Ep 12 promises to be even more interesting, as they wrap up the season.

Edited by Skarr

Is there any historical accuracy to Verenus and Pullo? I love how the show isnt just about caesar. And also does anyoen know if HBO plans on making a second season?

Yes there will be at least a second season. I just hope the reaction in the UK is solid enough to help push for a 3rd.

As for Vorenus and Pullo...

From Julius Caesar, the Gallic Wars book 5 chapter 44.

In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, "Why do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalizing your valor do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes." When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after. Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succors him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amid the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succor and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other.

Is there any historical accuracy to Verenus and Pullo? I love how the show isnt just about caesar. And also does anyoen know if HBO plans on making a second season?

Yes there will be at least a second season. I just hope the reaction in the UK is solid enough to help push for a 3rd.

As for Vorenus and Pullo...

From Julius Caesar, the Gallic Wars book 5 chapter 44.

In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, "Why do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalizing your valor do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes." When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after. Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succors him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amid the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succor and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other.

Thanks . thats exactly what I was looking for =)

episode 3 here (4 in USA) -excellent , more small scale than before but riveting. I liked the slimey chief augur and Caesers gift to his wife( odd that the omens turned out so well), Pullo turns up on time and gets his old Centurion out of a nasty fix, Caeser plays Don Vito and tells Antony not to disagree with him in front of "strangers" and I still want to run Cato through with my gladius. Also of course the warm testicles were tres amusant (poor Octavian). I would have liked to have seen more of the party preparations at both houses.Nice attention to detail .

Edited by Pertinax

This occured two episodes ago, but I am a little curious about it.

The scene where Timon the Jew is over seeing the attack on Servilla's litter, did anyone happen to notice the look of remorse on Timon's face. He mentions that it is Yom Kippur (forgive me if the spelling is incorrect), and from what I know, it's a Jewish Holiday centered around Atonement.

My question is, was it implied that Timon did not want to attack the litter because of Yom Kippur? Even more importantly, were there even Judeans in Rome by this point in history?

Paranthesis: Please excuse my ignorance for this comment.

A good mate of mine, my history teacher, is constantly telling me about the HBO episodes he's watched via the web. Even though our town is 105 kms from the nearest major town, it still has access to Broadband internet, and he could download the episodes with reasonable celerity.

I, however, live on a farm just outside our local provider's ADSL internet range, and have to put up with a slow dial-up connection, which would of course signify that it would take me a few days to a week to download HBO Episodes.

Now my question; will HBO Rome come to Australia? My friend says it's so good that it surely will, but it'd be good to get a confirmation from someone :huh:

Paranthesis: Please excuse my ignorance for this comment.

A good mate of mine, my history teacher, is constantly telling me about the HBO episodes he's watched via the web. Even though our town is 105 kms from the nearest major town, it still has access to Broadband internet, and he could download the episodes with reasonable celerity.

I, however, live on a farm just outside our local provider's ADSL internet range, and have to put up with a slow dial-up connection, which would of course signify that it would take me a few days to a week to download HBO Episodes.

Now my question; will HBO Rome come to Australia? My friend says it's so good that it surely will, but it'd be good to get a confirmation from someone :huh:

Hard to say really. Do you get many BBC productions? What about HBO? (I'm thinking Sopranos, but I'm sure they've done other stuff too).

can someone tell me when this(HBO's "Rome") airs on BBC and which network, I'm leaving Wednesday for the UK and would love to catch the series from the beginning if at all possible

thanks

and sorry I jumped in, it was for lack of better place to put this...