UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Alex the Great & Genetic Abnormality?

Alexander the Great was described as having fair skin, hair like a lion, an oddly sweet scent and conical teeth-- all things having to do with development of the ectoderm and abnormal in those with one of several possible genetic mutations grouped together as Ectodermal Dysplasia. His brother was also described as being mentally impaired-- another symptom sometimes seen in this syndrome, which is often inherited as an X-linked recessive.....These people are known to suffer from digestive problems and easily develop hyperthermia. Alex died young of some unspecified fever & abdominal problem- usually attributed to food poisoning- but maybe just a common complication of this genetic disorder?

The key is the conical teeth. Ectodermal dysplasia is the only condition I know in which his appears.

Interesting thought.

I agree it is interesting that conical "peg-shaped teeth" are most commonly associated with ectodermal dysplasias (ED). (Congenital syphilis, which also can cause peg-shaped teeth, is unlikely in pre-Columbian Europe.) 

Later on, I will comment on the thought that Alexander the Great had ED.

That said, I am not sure of the source or validity of the ancient source you referenced other than Plutarch who wrote about Alexander more than three centuries after his death. Can you reference the sources?

Edited by guy

IMG_2531.gif.4479e37716aa007b65c9be4e5a5d8cc6.gif

Death scene from the movie “Alexander”

I do have some experience with folks with ectodermal dysplasias (ED). 

The ectoderm is one of the three primary layer of cells (germ layers) that form during embryonic development. The ectoderm layer is involved in formation of teeth, hair, nails, and sweat glands.  A dysplasia is an abnormal formation of cells. So, ectodermeral dysplasia (ED) would expect to have abnormalities involving the teeth, hair, nails, and sweat.

There are around 180 different forms of EDs with different hereditary patterns.

Anhidrotic (or hypohidrotic) ED variant is the most common. Anhidrotic ED people have a severe dysfunction of their sweat glands and would have a serious intolerance to heat. Alexander the Great almost certainly did not have this variant because he marched to India and Egypt, which would have been intolerable to him. Also, people with anhidrotic ED have unusual facial features: a saddle nose and supraorbital ridging. That would have made Alexander's face very striking,  but it was not mentioned.

The hidrotic variant is less devastating, but does have skin, nails, and hair abnormalities. These people don't have the serious sweating problems.

So, if Alexander did have a variant of ED, his only evidence is "conical teeth." I don't think  "sweet scent" is associated with ED. His "hair like a lion" would also not be associated with ED, either. Usually, people with ED have sparse, fine, and short hair. This doesn't sound like Alexander's description.

I, therefore, don't think that Alexander had a variant of ectodermal dyspasia, even a less serious one.

https://healthjade.net/ectodermal-dysplasia/

Edited by guy

Congenital syphylis dental abnormalities do not include triangular/conical teeth, but rather, multicrowned teeth.

You,re correct that there are over 100 known genotypes included under the rubric of ED, and the phenomena of expressivity & penetrance affecting the observable phenotypes make it even more difficult to cram the described round peg into the theoretically expected square hole.

Hair like a lion-- dry & frizzy due to dysfunctional follicular sebaceous glands?

Sweet smeling-- dysfunctional appocrine sweat glands?

Beardless-- another example of poorly developed skin architecture?...as is...

Fair skin (rare among Macedonians?)-- poorly developed.  dermal melanocytes?

On one ocassion, Alex felt over heated and plunged himself into a freezing cold river, subsequently developing pneumonia. An example of hypohidrosis?

Of course trying to make a diagnosis based on short descriptions written centuries after the fact and usually just repetitions of earlier descriptions is little more than an amusing exercise in fantasy. But it is interesting that Alex had several unusual physical traits that line up nicely with a dx of ED. It,s much more likely to have one condition accounting for multiple symptoms than to have multiple conditions.

Edited by guidoLaMoto

Interesting that there is a suggestion that Alexander died from Guillain-Barre.

Posted (edited)

Guillan Barre is an ascending neuropathy that starts with weakness in the feet and works its way up progressively, usually over the course of weeks. It usually stops progressing before reaching the muscles of breathing, then recedes with muscle strength returning progressively in reverse order over the same time course at which it progressed. Death is due to the respiratory insufficiency it produces should it advance that far...I,m not sure why anyone would suggest it was a factor in Alex,s demise.

Ancient texts are often the source of conjecture by modern diagnosticians. Eg- Sarah gave birth to Isaac in her90s-- an estrogen secreting ovarian tumor?...or  Samson having  a cromegally from a pituitary adenoam-- big guy with great strength and dying suddenly of apoplexy....

...and of course it,s easy to reduce that the universe was created during a baseball game...Genesis 1: 1...."In the Big Inning, God created the heavens and earth....

It has been suggested that acute pancreatitis after a bought of serious drinking is most in keeping with the course described-- severe abdominal pain & fever leading to death over the course a week or so.

Sorry...I,m still trying to figure out this tablet. I added the bible stuff and it got stuck before the comment about Alex and pancreatitis.

Edited by guidoLaMoto