UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Antony And Cicero

frankq

while i'm not quite sure what you mean by differences.

Antony and Cicero both followed very different walks of life from different places, I find it hard to imagine them being much the same. Cicero was always very upright and was very keen on republican values while Antony, being a ceaserian, was fairly new age and was in the army making him most likely have a more militeristic view on life and how things work than Cicero who was a politician with no battlefield experiance.

So I'm just going of presumtion here and saying that they most likely weren't very alike.

To once again answer my own question (I end up going out and researching invariably) the reasons for the differences are actually quite grounded. Cicero had Antony's father-in-law from his first marriage executed during the Caitline Conspiracy. Then, he married Fulvia, who had been going toe to toe with Cicero ever since she had been married to Clodius Pulcher, the consul and demagogue.

Ironically, Fulvia had originally been employed by Cicero as a spy. They went way back.

My next separate thread is gonna be about Cicero's death. I have almost 4 completely different versions already about how he died at the hands of Antony's hit squad.