UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Daily Life In Ancient Rome

Denec

I was in Barnes & noble and was looking for another book to pick up after I have finished History of Rome by Grant. I was looking for the one recommended Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome by Adkins and Adkins but they did not have it in. I saw this book here instead

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...300101864&itm=1

and picked it up. Has anyone read it? What are your thoughts?

this barnes & noble I went to was one made for colleges with textbooks, so they had a huge section of Ancient History books, it took me a long time to go through all the books. I never realized how many different categories and authors have written about those times.

From what I recall, Carcopino's book was a groundbreaking work because it was the first modern history to concentrate on the average Roman working stiff instead of Caesars or gladiators. I enjoyed it's information, although it is dated. I believe it was first published in 1927.

It's dated insofar as some things have been re-interpreted in the last few years since 1940's.

For instance, in speaking of Roman women of the imperial era, and of "feminization" he makes the remark that Roman women were as free as any society up to "our own time." Well, by "our own time" he means his time, which is 1940. Women and feminists of 2005 are in a different position than they were even 65 years ago, which puts a different spin on the social liberties of Roman women compared to ours.

In other instances, he merely holds to views that are now questionable. For instance, on the topic of the rise of Christianity he holds to the old view of vast pagan intolerance to Christianity. Today historians view the persecution of Christians at the hand of Rome to be somewhat exaggerated by Church propaganda, with the effects of "martyrdom" to be overblown.

All in all, though, it's a great book that makes you think.

• 2 weeks later...