UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Germanicus

Germanicus

Augustus is dead, the legions in Lower Germany and Pannonia are rioting, those in Upper Germany would be easily convinced. They don't respect Tiberius nearly as much as you, the people love you too, and the Legion representatives are begging you to take the purple - you'd have 8 veteran legions at your command. What would you do in Germanicus position ?

Agreed, had agustus been smart he would've placed germanicus as his heir, personaly i think i would've gone along the same lines as Ursus and bribed the preatorians to murder tiberius and assume position on the throne. Tiberious would have been a easy target anyways, considering how he was constantly doing stupid things, and I won't go any further but to say Island Villa. Anyways, you could probobley take control of the empire with out tiberius even noticing it happened (i'm exagerating but oh well).

Well, I also wouldn't have gone along with being sent to asia minor and I would've kept better control of Caligula, not to mention have the older sons of Germanicus become heir, too bad they were killed off by Tiberius. Only poor little boots left to run a empire that he couldn't.....

Yes, a quick assasination would have been the way to go. Germanicus had Praetorian cohorts with him in lower Germany to help supress the mutiny and should have sorted things out with them before their return to Rome. I can understand him being reluctant to just head down with his legions, after 40 years of peace he may not have wanted to plunge the populace into Civil war again, what a guy !

Oh hell I'm not getting into that again

We're not discussing whether Germanicus was poisoned or just got sick - you'll be relieved to know. I'm not interested in discussing that either.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Caligula would have ended up the same guy if he hadn't spent so much time with Tiberius? after all, I think it was Tiberius who said that he was raising up a viper for the Roman people.

As for Germanicus, I would done what most of guys would have done, depose Tiberius and then maybe get back to subduing the German tribes.

I would depose Tiberius, meaning assassination. Marched around the empire with my legions to strengthen my cause to be emperor with show of force. Then I would go on a major campaign against Parthia and come back with spoils and riches. And for those who disagree, Parthia can be beaten(I mean we did take over Mesopotamia for a while). All you have to do is ally yourself with Armenia, unlike Crassus, and used their land as a base point. Also use their fiercesome calvary.After that campaign, I would do the death choke on the Germans and bring back more slaves and men for the recruitment of the Legion.

• 1 month later...

No Roman law gave Augustus (or the Senate) the power to name a successor, so I'd uphold the law by marching on Rome, sending the supporters of Tiberius packing until I faced them in battle. If I won, I'd grant citizenship to all allies of Rome, hold elections immediately thereafter, run for consul, and restore the Republic.