UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Worst Roman Punishment?

Sextus Roscius

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if I could get one "formorly known as father-killer...(sextus Rocius commited patricide)

No he didn't, he was found not guilty. He was a victim of Crysoganus' conspiracies.

Ah, I've always had my doubts anyways. I know he wasn't found guilty though, Cicero made a valiant defence and saved the man's life. I've always used it as a joke and I would still like to get it made formorly known as father-killer becuase he was thought to be guilty for a while. It was a big trial at the time. Ah well.

He didn't do particularly well in the defence of Milo, i believe...

He didn't fair particularly well in the entire ordeal against Clodius. In the end I suppose he had the last laugh over his rival though... well before Antonius' wife Fulvia jabbed his tongue with her hairpins that is. :D

Indeed, poor Cicero. At least he was valiant and brave to the end, he didn't even make a sound after the hairpin was jabbed through his tounge. Well, I suppose that was after the end...

• 10 months later...
Guest Consul Flavus

I think the worst punishment, although overlooked maybe because it is well known, was being condemned to scourging and crucifixion. The scourging would often kill the person before the crucifixion.

You would first be tied to a whipping post. Next, you were whipped by two Romans trained in the art of the flagrum. These men would take turns whipping the criminal. This barbaric instrument was a